Deploy Office 2019 updates with WSUS RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to deploy office 2019 updates with WSUS, If so how
    Thursday, September 27, 2018 2:32 PM

Answers

• Well, Here I deploy and update the Office 365 by GPO, idk how you set WSUS for it, but i will pass the steps that i would run:

• First download de ODT (Office Deployment Tool)
    • After unzip the content, you would replace the XML content for it:
    <Configuration>
        <Add OfficeClientEdition="64" Channel="Monthly" SourcePath="\\Source\Destination" ForceUpgrade="TRUE">
            <Product ID="ProPlus2019Retail"></Product>
        </Add>
        <Updates Enabled="TRUE" Channel="Monthly"/>
        <Display Level="Full" AcceptEULA="TRUE"/>
        <Property Name="FORCEAPPSHUTDOWN" Value="TRUE"/>
        <Property Name="SharedComputerLicensing" Value="0"/>
        <Property Name="PinIconsToTaskbar" Value="FALSE"/>
    </Configuration>
    • Now, you need download the setup files using cmd: navigate to the folder with setup.exe and configuration.xml
    • type the command bellow to download
    setup.exe /download configuration.xml

• to install, repeat the command, replacing the /download parameter to /configure.

* If SourcePath in XML is not set, the setup will copy the installation files from internet, that is, it may take longer.

So, that's it

• Marked as answer by nijjars Friday, September 28, 2018 2:52 PM
    Thursday, September 27, 2018 4:50 PM

All replies

• Well, Here I deploy and update the Office 365 by GPO, idk how you set WSUS for it, but i will pass the steps that i would run:

• First download de ODT (Office Deployment Tool)
    • After unzip the content, you would replace the XML content for it:
    <Configuration>
        <Add OfficeClientEdition="64" Channel="Monthly" SourcePath="\\Source\Destination" ForceUpgrade="TRUE">
            <Product ID="ProPlus2019Retail"></Product>
        </Add>
        <Updates Enabled="TRUE" Channel="Monthly"/>
        <Display Level="Full" AcceptEULA="TRUE"/>
        <Property Name="FORCEAPPSHUTDOWN" Value="TRUE"/>
        <Property Name="SharedComputerLicensing" Value="0"/>
        <Property Name="PinIconsToTaskbar" Value="FALSE"/>
    </Configuration>
    • Now, you need download the setup files using cmd: navigate to the folder with setup.exe and configuration.xml
    • type the command bellow to download
    setup.exe /download configuration.xml

• to install, repeat the command, replacing the /download parameter to /configure.

* If SourcePath in XML is not set, the setup will copy the installation files from internet, that is, it may take longer.

So, that's it

• Marked as answer by nijjars Friday, September 28, 2018 2:52 PM
    Thursday, September 27, 2018 4:50 PM
  • Is it possible to deploy office 2019 updates with WSUS, If so how

Office 2019 uses click-to-run installation technology. It handles updates differently than Windows Installer (MSI)

When there are updates for Office 2019, Microsoft releases a new build of Office 2019 on the Office Content Delivery Network (CDN) on the Internet. This new build includes all the latest security and quality updates.

Since updates are cumulative and already included in the latest version of Office 2019 on the Office CDN, you don’t use Microsoft Updates or Windows Server Updates Services (WSUS) to update Office 2019. But you can use System Center Configuration Manager to help you deploy and manage updates to Office 2019, including controlling when and from where updates are applied.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, September 28, 2018 3:13 AM
  • The Question was how to deliver (future) Updates via WSUS.

How to deploy ist not the question.

And

Since updates are cumulative and already included in the latest version of Office 2019 on the Office CDN, you don’t use Microsoft Updates or Windows Server Updates Services (WSUS) to update Office 2019.

is really a miss - because updates will come.

Today i checked if Office 2019 is shown at the Product and Classifications tab at WSUS - but the list still ends with Office 2016.

So the Question is how to deploy Office 2019 on premise (retail or VL no "click-to-run") updates via WSUS?

Best Regards

Werner

Tuesday, October 9, 2018 10:22 AM
  • Good morning everyone, I have a problem with the installation of office standard 2019, I have done all the steps indicated with the ODT tool:

create the XML file

run the setup /download config.xml and setup /configure config.xml,

in the latter when I click opens the office window and says it is installed, starts the process, windows sends me the notification that office 2019 has been installed, but when looking for the programs, I do not see any, I do not even see it in the control panel.
    could support me?
    Thank you! 

Friday, October 12, 2018 6:58 PM
  • I have the same concern...

Our organization uses SCCM (WSUS obviously being the backend) to manage channel updates for Office click-to-run (365 ProPlus and now 2019).

We're looking to deploy Visio / Project 2019 but I'm not seeing any updates or references within SCCM to update Office 2019.  SCCM (WSUS) only shows up to Office 2016.  It seems over the last year or so Microsoft is putting bigger effort getting the new product out the door before creating reference material or facilitating management of the new product.  

The only option right now is to allow the Office 2019 installation to update over Microsoft CDN vs. on-prem controls.

• Edited by LMO75 Friday, October 26, 2018 6:59 PM
    Friday, October 26, 2018 6:56 PM
  • So the Question is how to deploy Office 2019 on premise (retail or VL no "click-to-run") updates via WSUS?

The simple answer is:

You no longer can deploy updates for new Office versions using WSUS. Office 2019 on premise is also using "click-to-run" technology.

The only way to control updates for Office 2019 is to create your own local installation source and update it by yourself with the ODT setup.exe and /download parameter, either manually or by setting up a task in task planer on a server or admin workstation.

Friday, November 23, 2018 4:46 PM