Need help troubleshooting a hard lockup which I suspect is caued by a faulty driver RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client whose XP machine is randomly freezing completely.  No mouse movement or anything.  I started the machine in Safe Mode, and the freezes haven't recurred, which led me to believe that it was a driver issue.

I ran verifier.exe against unsigned drivers, and then against all drivers, and on reboot no BSOD was produced, but it also didn't act the way I thought it would.  Isn't is supposed to run through a list of drivers during startup that are being verified?  It just went straight to Windows Logon as if it were a normal startup.

Monday, November 21, 2011 5:33 PM

Answers

• Some PC manufacturers include a diagnostics utility accessible at boot up.

If you have a Dell, you should be able to press F12 after the initial splash screen, but before Windows starts loading.

I would strongly recommend running a hardware diagnostics test on the system.

I have seen this happen when memory modules fail or when the CPU fan has failed.

If you don't find a diagnostics utility, you should do some research at the manufacturers website.

Ole

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Please vote my post as helpful if you think it was, and mark it as an answer if it answered
    your question. That will help others with the same problem finding the answer. Thanks.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 2:41 PM