none
Failed to Realize RRS feed

• Question

• I got a Windows Server 2019 environment with a windows share hosted on a lenovo emc px12-450r nas.  Whenever I try and create a virtual machine directly on the nas, i get the error Failed to create virtual machine, failed to realize.  However, if I make the virtual machine on the local host it works perfectly fine.

I set up a service account on the nas with a matching service account on the host, but that didn't seem to help.  I tried creating the machines via unc path and mapped drives which resulted in the same

Any advise would be appreciated.

Monday, February 10, 2020 8:32 PM

All replies

• The NAS must support SMB 3.0 or higher.

Hyper-V Virtual Machine Service needs to run as LocalSystem and the computer account must have Full Control over the storage location on the NAS.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

Monday, February 10, 2020 8:41 PM
  • Hi mclaughlk,

Thanks for your post!

Since we are Microsoft support, I would like to check if you have any issue on the Hyper V management? If yes, please feel free to let us know, we are glad to help with the hyper V part.

As for the NAS part, since we may not familiar with the third-party product, it's recommend to consult NAS support.

Thanks for your understanding!

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 11, 2020 7:03 AM
  • In addition to the proper SMB support from the NAS vendor that Eric mentioned, you also need to configure constrained delegation in order to use NAS for storage.  You need to work with the NAS vendor on how to configure that on the NAS device.

tim

Tuesday, February 11, 2020 7:46 PM
  • Hi mclaughlk,

Greetings!

I am writing to check if you need any additional assistance from our side? If yes, please feel free to feedback. If not, please mark useful post as aswer to end this thread.

Thanks for your time!

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 14, 2020 7:20 AM