Desktop Icons RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

a friend of mine has asked me if I could restore the desktop icon on his vista machine.
    I got to desktop -> personalize -> change desktop icons and at that point, a message came out:
    "The administrator has blocked the Change Desktop Icons from the control panel"

I haven't been able to find where to unblock this option (I didn't even know that it was possible to do it).
    My friend's account is an administrator, but I don't know how to do it.

Any help really appreciated.
    Cheers,
    sfabriz
    Friday, December 12, 2008 11:29 AM

Answers

• Hi sfabriz,

Is your system connected to a domain? If so, the administrator may have blocked access to display settings Control Panel via GPO. If yours is a standalone system (or a system connected to a Workgroup), check this article out. There is a script included in that page which removes all the registry based Policies (for Display Settings) if any.

• Marked as answer by sfabriz Friday, December 12, 2008 10:35 PM
    Friday, December 12, 2008 2:56 PM

All replies

• Hi sfabriz,

Is your system connected to a domain? If so, the administrator may have blocked access to display settings Control Panel via GPO. If yours is a standalone system (or a system connected to a Workgroup), check this article out. There is a script included in that page which removes all the registry based Policies (for Display Settings) if any.

• Marked as answer by sfabriz Friday, December 12, 2008 10:35 PM
    Friday, December 12, 2008 2:56 PM
  • Thank you very much.
    The machine is a standalone one, so I think the article you posted will be of much help.
    I'll pass the link to my friend immediately.

Cheers,
    sfabriz
    Friday, December 12, 2008 10:35 PM