Hidden data visible after converting into pdf and back to .doc RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Our sales guys use a word document converted into a pdf (save as pdf or xps) for customers. One customer converted the pdf file back to a .doc file with Adobe Acrobat because he wants to sign it digitally. After converting, the word file shows a contact adress from a different comany!

We checked the original word document with the office inspector, looked for hidden etc. but we cannot reveal the source of the other adress.

I did several tests and if the original word is converted via pdfcreator or Adobe Acrobat this other adress is not visible...

Any ideas?

Mav2000ger

Monday, January 10, 2011 2:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Brandon,

I did test these things with the original document our sales colleagues use so it had no contact with another company. I asked our sales team to rebuild their form. It's an old template, maybe it helps.

It seems that the "Save as xps or pdf" plugin is converting more information than Adobe Acrobat or pdfcreator.

Mav2kger

• Proposed as answer by Harry Yuan Friday, January 21, 2011 8:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Friday, January 21, 2011 8:47 AM
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 8:53 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Couple follow up questions.

1. What version of Word are you using?
    2. Where in the file are you seeing the address is from a different company?

Brandon

Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:59 PM
  • Hi Brandon,

1. It's Office Small Business 2007 SP2.

2. The correct address is on the left side as head of the letter, the sould-not-be-there adress is on the right side but a little higher.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 4:29 PM
  • Have you been able to reproduce this behavior on any of your machines?  If you only see this issue with a converted document from a specific customer, maybe there was something running on their environment that was adding this information. 

Brandon 

Thursday, January 20, 2011 12:58 AM
  • Hi Brandon,

I did test these things with the original document our sales colleagues use so it had no contact with another company. I asked our sales team to rebuild their form. It's an old template, maybe it helps.

It seems that the "Save as xps or pdf" plugin is converting more information than Adobe Acrobat or pdfcreator.

Mav2kger

• Proposed as answer by Harry Yuan Friday, January 21, 2011 8:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Friday, January 21, 2011 8:47 AM
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 8:53 AM