Security and permission issue. RRS feed

• Question

• Hy guys..my problem is ..I have a shortcut made in the desktop of a limited user account for a folder in a partition. I want to set permission so that this limited user can not delete this shortcut made in his folder, but he can read write and delete contents in side that shortcut..(which means the folder in the partition.) Simply what I want is a shortcut to a folder that in desktop, limited users can not delete ..but access it.. thanks ..expext and  appreciate your answers
    Monday, October 1, 2012 12:07 PM

All replies

• If you want multiple users to see the shortcut, put it in the All User desktop.  Limited users should already have only read authority to that folder and therefore should not be able to delete or alter shortcuts in it.

If you put stuff in the user's desktop folder, of course he should be able to delete it since he also needs tha bilityto add stuff to his own desktop.

Monday, October 1, 2012 8:54 PM
  • Barry ..You have given two incompatible answers in your context .In the first one you say limited users can't delete and in the second one you say they should be able to delete any thing on their desktop..If you could check yourself you can see the situation I experienced..even If the computer administrator creates the shortcut in C/Users/Limited user/Desktop.. once you logged As the limited user...he can delete it...I want to avoid this.
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 1:20 AM
  • Sorry, I worded that poorly.  Items that appear on the desktop come from two source: the user's private desktop folder and the all user desktop folder.

What I meant to say was that a user could perform any action, including delete, on anything in their private desktop folder.  A non-admin user should not be able to do anything other than read items in the all user desktop folder (unless someone with admin authority has given the user extra privileges to that folder).

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 6:38 PM