none
How to use an EVA to track progress without cost or resources. RRS feed

• Question

• I work for a small construction company that wants to track hours and % complete of a job with 16 task. I entered the baseline and saved it. I understand how work using hours works. Is there any way I can get an EVA without using cost associated and using work hours instead. Whenever I attempt to get a visual on my EVA I just get a dot on the bottom center of the graph. I can't figure what I am doing wrong. I am not using cost or resources, could that be the problem. Here is what I am working with. Any help is greatly appreciated. :) 

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:35 PM

Answers

• Hey Ray,

Have you checkt the datasheet in the excel report: "Assignment Usage withEV"... (I assume that you are talking about the visual reports graph).

Try expanding all datalevels via the collapse/expand buttons ("+")!

If your data is in a collapsed state, you will see only a dot in the centre...If you expand the crosstab AND there is data available, you will see what you hoped to see!

Regards

Wim

Friday, November 18, 2011 7:06 PM

All replies

• Well you definitely need something in the cost field.  You could always use
    $1/hour, and simply enter that value in the Fixed Cost field for each task.

Once you do that, baseline the project, extend the status date to the end
    of the project, and then export to Excel.

That should give you a performance management baseline.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:40 PM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 11:10 PM
  • Andrew,

Thanks for the help but I now get a line across the bottom of the graph but no vertical on cost. I added the cost and put $1, do i need to add resources. Or can you figure out from the image above whats wrong?

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 11:13 PM
  • The line would imply your cost is 0.  You also won't get a very good picture just having $1 for each task.  That's saying that each task is worth exactly the same in earned value as another task.

What happens if you push your status date out to the end of the project?

I'll point out thought that I might recommend scrapping the idea of using EVMS.  If you do plan to use it, you may wish to engage a consultant for at least a couple of hours to help you work through the implications of using it.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 2:56 PM
  • Before I had the status date set to the current date and we are only one week into the job and I just received a dot bottom center of graph, after I changed the status date to the end of project instead of a dot I received a line across the bottom, but no vertical lineage. So I figured I needed some kind of cost associated with the graph. I wanted to just use hours and not pay, but first I wanted to put some cost $1 like you suggested and give a resource to each task. When I went to retrieve the EVA graph I received an unknown error. and the requested action was not completed. :(   I think it is something simple but the mysterious s-curve is eluding me.
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:07 PM
  • I agree with Andrew. Based on your questions you might find it difficult to effectively use Earned Value for managing a project at this time.

It seems as though EV is something relatively new to you and your company and in a 'live' project you could end up spending a huge amount of time managing the details of your schedule rather than managing your project. You might try something like keeping a separate schedule on the side where you try out some EV type management outside of your real schedule.

In the end to really EV well you will need resources assigned to the tasks and the resources will need to have a non-zero Standard Rate field ($1 as Anderew suggested works great). you will also likely find it easier if you are NOT using Manually scheduled tasks.

Brian Kennemer – DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:17 PM
  • Hey Ray,

Have you checkt the datasheet in the excel report: "Assignment Usage withEV"... (I assume that you are talking about the visual reports graph).

Try expanding all datalevels via the collapse/expand buttons ("+")!

If your data is in a collapsed state, you will see only a dot in the centre...If you expand the crosstab AND there is data available, you will see what you hoped to see!

Regards

Wim

Friday, November 18, 2011 7:06 PM