Windows explorer has stopped working...windows is checking for a reason for the problem. RRS feed

• Question

• I am having the same problems as listed in the previous comments.  I continue to have the MS Windows box Windows explorer has stopped working...windows is checking for a reason for the problem .  Then the next box pops up that Win Explorer is restarting. 

I have scanned for viruses with up-to-date scanning software and found nothing...

Need help, I'm not the greatest with this type of problem solving.

Sincerely

Thota

Monday, September 14, 2009 12:40 PM

All replies

• One of my starting points for this type of error is to check all shell extensions. ShellExView can be useful to see which shell extensions have been introduced into Explorer by third party applications.

Read about it then scroll down to the bottom to download the x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version here http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Click on the Company column to alphabetically sequence the entries. Assuming that the Microsoft entries are bona fide, is there anything else listed that is either unnecessary or suspicious? If so, highlight it and click the red button to disable it. If you accidentally disable an item, it is reversible by clicking the green button.

Monday, September 14, 2009 1:22 PM