After KB2656356 update computer will not boot Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have applied this update three times. After applying, my computer freezes during boot up. No disk activity visible. I have to shut down the computer and then use the repair tool to return to prior state.

Lenovo Laptop ThinkPad T500

4 Gb RAM, 2.8 Mhz CPU

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Saturday, January 7, 2012 6:25 PM Move to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 5:05 PM

Answers

• The issue occurs if the update was not installed properly. I suggest you restore your system in WinRE.

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

After restoring, please temporarily disable antivirus and update the system again.

If it does not resolve the issue, you may need to reinstall the system.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:16 AM
    Monday, January 9, 2012 2:26 AM

All replies

• Read this.  Some other people have come across the same problem.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/my-win-7-ultimate-windows-update-kb2656356/47521e7c-dfc3-45ce-90d7-0aaa5de708c9

Otherwise, the problems I have come across in the IT field with updates on 64 bit pc's seem to disappear with a fresh install.  I know it is a last resort but, it has worked for me every time.  Install each and every update before adding ANY other programs.

Psyzzle

Psyzzle Comp TIA A+ Cert.
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 6:17 PM
  • Sounds like most of them are having difficulty getting this update to install. I can get it to install successfully. But then I freeze up when booting.

If I put it in safe mode and reboot from there, I can get into regular mode ok, and everything works, and I can see the successful update of this patch.

When I power down and try to start the computer again, it gets to "starting Windows" and then just stops.

Strange!

Wiping the computer and reinstalling everything sounds fairly painful! But do-able.

Other thoughts/options?

Thanks, Psyzzle

Saturday, January 7, 2012 8:17 PM
  • The issue occurs if the update was not installed properly. I suggest you restore your system in WinRE.

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

After restoring, please temporarily disable antivirus and update the system again.

If it does not resolve the issue, you may need to reinstall the system.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:16 AM
    Monday, January 9, 2012 2:26 AM