none
Cost filtering for a single resource RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to create a view in the Gantt chart to summarize work and cost for a single resource. Many of the tasks have multiple resources assigned, all who have logged work (and cost) for the related tasks. Tasks and their summaries conveniently display baseline, actual, and variance work and cost for those tasks, when the correct columns are displayed, but they display the total cost and work for all resources assigned to the task. I want to limit the displayed cost and work to only one of the resources.

It's easy to build a filter that correctly displays all tasks with the desired resource, but I can't figure out how to filter out the work and cost of other resources when the task has multiple resources.

The background is that I have one resource with special billing attributes, and I want to know how much work and cost that resource has accrued.

Thanks

Teleman

Friday, July 18, 2014 11:36 PM

All replies

• Teleman,

Sorry but you can't directly get what you want in the Gantt Chart view. Have you tried the Task Usage view? It breaks down data for each assignment (i.e. resource) for each task.

The next option would be some VBA to parse out each resource's data and dump that into extra fields (e.g. Text1 and Cost1) for work and cost on the Gantt Chart view. You would need two extra fields for each resource assigned to each task.

If this answers your question, please mark it as the answer. If not, how else may we help you?

John

• Edited by John - Project Friday, July 18, 2014 11:51 PM clarification
    Friday, July 18, 2014 11:47 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for the quick answer!

I'm trying various Task Usage views, but still get stuck in the same place; my view still includes all resources for each task to which my desired resource is assigned; I can't figure out how to filter out all those other resources.

My current filter is {Resource Name} {Contains} {Henry} and {Text1} {Contains} {txt1value}. I need a way to exclude ResourceName != Henry. Any idea how to do that without writing code? 

VBA makes sense, but I'm not a coder and don't have anyone convenient to write it. Not sure if that is an option for me.

Thanks

Saturday, July 19, 2014 12:16 AM
  • Teleman,

I'm not sure what the Text1 field has to do with it, but your filter should be:

And/Or         Field Name             Test                         Value

Resource Names      does not Contain      Henry

And             Text1                       Contains                  whatever

Try that

By the way, what version of Project are you using? Is it updated with the latest service pack? If not, install the applicable service pack.

John

Saturday, July 19, 2014 2:02 AM
  • Teleman,

Okay, after thinking it over more and re-reading your original post, I think I now understand why you can not quite get what you want from the Task Usage view alone. Your filter looks fine except if you do NOT want Henry in the data then the filter should have "does not contain" as the test for Henry.

Simply using a filter will indeed only show the desired assignments but the task and summary totals will still include all assignments. To customize that you will need to create a group. Go to View/data group/Group By and create the following group:

When applied in conjunction with the filter does that give you what you need?

John

Saturday, July 19, 2014 3:16 AM
  • Teleman146 --

Why don't you try the Resource Usage view instead?  Apply that view and then insert the Work and Cost columns to the right of the resource name.  Right-click in the timephased grid (timesheet-like grid on the right) and then select the Cost details.  This view will show you everything you want to see for the resource in question, will it not?  Let us know and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Sunday, July 20, 2014 8:12 PM
  • Hello Dale,

Thanks Dale, this is close to what I want. The piece I can't figure out in Resource View is how to filter out the tasks (for this resource) that I'm not interested in. The resource Henry is part of several jobs within the overall project, each with it's own cost accounting. I have used the Text1 column to add attributes related for desired jobs to each task, e.g. 1408. So now I have ~50 tasks for job 1408, each with the value of 1408 in Text1 column, and I've created a filter to show only those jobs, (so I can limit the view to tasks for job 1408), and I can see that filtered list of tasks in a Gantt view, but the filtered list contains work/cost for resources other than my desired resource (Henry).

I have also added a job attribute (1408) to the resource table for Henry (column Text1), so I can use a filter on the resource table, but then I get other tasks not related to job 1408. 

Any idea how to get both a Resource and Task filter in the same view?

Thanks,

Rolfe

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 12:18 PM
  • Rolfe --

Alas, I am sad to report to you that you are not going to be able to filter the tasks in the Resource Usage view using the Text 1 field.  I would refer you back to the last reply from John, in which he recommends using grouping by resource in the Task Usage view.  I think that would work better for your reporting requirements.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, July 24, 2014 11:33 AM