none
First to start dependency starting on the same day in ms project 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i have seen this scenario many times and i always end up putting a constraint date to correct the issue.

assume i have task A and Task B with a FS relationship with the following start/finish dates:

task A:                                       Task B:

Duration 2 days                            Duration: 2 days

Start: Monday                                Start: Wednesday

Finish: Wednesday                          Finish: Friday

In real life, i would expect this to be like this:

task A:                                       Task B:

Duration 2 days                            Duration: 2 days

Start: Monday                                Start: Wednesday

Finish: Tuesday                             Finish: Thursday

The fix could be really simple but i'd appreciate it if somebody can help with this.

Thanks,

Friday, April 5, 2013 6:02 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You have to realize that Project calculates every date to the minute so looking at the date only doesn't provide enough information to undderstand the calculation.

So first thing to do is to go (menus are as in Project 2010, you did not tell us whichversion you are using) to the File menu, options, general, and to select a date format includig time of day.

You will now see that either Task A does not start at beginning of the day OR that the definition of "a day" is larger than the number of working hours in the calendar.

Once you understand the cause, you can start solving this.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by eagle_one34 Sunday, April 7, 2013 10:06 PM
    Friday, April 5, 2013 7:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You have to realize that Project calculates every date to the minute so looking at the date only doesn't provide enough information to undderstand the calculation.

So first thing to do is to go (menus are as in Project 2010, you did not tell us whichversion you are using) to the File menu, options, general, and to select a date format includig time of day.

You will now see that either Task A does not start at beginning of the day OR that the definition of "a day" is larger than the number of working hours in the calendar.

Once you understand the cause, you can start solving this.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by eagle_one34 Sunday, April 7, 2013 10:06 PM
    Friday, April 5, 2013 7:44 AM
  • Thank you Jan. It makes sense now.
    Sunday, April 7, 2013 10:06 PM