Windows Computers vs Servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Trying to create a view to show all servers in the ServiceManager database (which has been populated through an AD connector), however:

If I use "Windows Computer" as the class in "Search for objects of a specific class" when creating the view, I get all of our computers, both servers and workstations.

If I use "Windows Server" as the class, the list is empty?!

I have tried manually through the empty view to "Create Windows Server" which is possible, and afterwards the object is displayed in the view based on "Windows Server" class.

Looking at the BaseManagedEntity table in the DB I can not see how SCSM distinguishes between the servers I create by hand and the servers imported from AD - BaseManagedTypeId is the same, but there may be more tables involved that I have not investigated yet.

What should I do to get SCSM to recognize my servers, so they are shown in the servers view? Do I need the SCOM and/or SCCM connector to provide this information?

BR,

Nordmann

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 10:55 AM

Answers

• You need SCOM/SCCM.  The AD connector doesnt distinguish between servers and clients.

Travis Wright Senior Program Manager Microsoft
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 5:07 AM