none
Calendar days vs work week RRS feed

• Question

• Good evening everyone :)

i have a new project in which the deadlines is expressed in calendar days by the client. i.e: deadline 180 days.

i'd like to use a 5 days work week for my gantt, since our company doesn't use weekend shifts. i have indeed the need to display somewhere that the duration of  the project is of 180 calendar days (including saturdays, sundays, including even festivities such as Christmas), and the duration of some parts of the project, such as the "design" part, is of XXX calendar days and so on.

in other situation, when i needed to display the calendar duration, i went into the project calendar and modified the nonworking time. but in this case i need to mantain the monday-to-friday shifts. using the full week trick infact could help me count the calendar days, but on the other hand could allow some activities to start or finish on saturday or sunday, which in this case cannot be.

how can i display the "calendar days" duration mantaining the 5 days work week?

thank you very much for your kind response!

best regards

Arwen

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 11:28 PM

All replies

• Arwen,

Probably the easiest thing to do is to create a custom field with a formula to show calendar days. You can then display that next to the normal Duration field. You might also want to rename the custom field as "Calendar Duration". Assuming you have a normal 8-5 workweek and your duration is set to display days, the following formula will give what you want:

Duration1=DateDiff("d",[Start],[Finish])*480+480

The "480" multiplier and adder is the number of minutes in an 8 hour workday. They are needed because of the way the DatDiff function works.

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, November 8, 2012 2:00 AM
  • Thank you very much John, it helps a lot,

your solution works perfectly!!

thanks you again!

best regards

Arwen

Thursday, November 8, 2012 9:03 AM
  • Arwen,

You're welcome. Please mark this post as answered.

John

Thursday, November 8, 2012 5:57 PM