none
DPM 2016 and 2018-08 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2016 for x64-based Systems (KB4343884) RRS feed

• Question

• After many months of reliable operation with few to no failed jobs, our DPM 2016 server started failing 30-40% of the jobs. I tracked the primary failure down to "DPM failed to communicate with the protection agent on <ServerName> because the agent is not responding. (ID 43)"

However, the odd thing I noticed is that <ServerName> was always the DPM server itself, regardless of protection group and server being protected.

I reviewed application event logs, DPM logs, disk performance, network performance and nothing was showing any signs of errors or degradation. It was all solid. Even the App event log had no DPMRA errors listed on the DPM server aka <ServerName> in the failure.

After days of pulling my hair out, the only known change in recent days was the installation of KB4343884. So I uninstalled the KB which rolled it back to KB4343887. After that everything has been back to normal.

Sure would like to figure out what was in there that was causing the problem. Anyone else see this?

Thanks,

Wes

Sunday, September 9, 2018 10:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Wes,

Unfortunately I have not heard any issues regarding the KB4343887 update.

Which build of DPM 2016 are you running?

Can you provide us your DPMRA log file?
    The DPMRA log file will be in the format of DPMRA*.errlog (e.g. DPMRACURR.ERRLOG) and by default is located in \Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Temp.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Thursday, September 20, 2018 9:51 PM
  • Hi,

we are running several DPM2016-Servers.

One bigger one has that August rollup installed and we don't see any issues until now.

Furhermore we have installed the september update (because of ReFS.sys)

No bigger issues there, either.

regards

/bkpfast

My postings are provided &quot;AS IS&quot; with no warranties and confer no rights

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 10:27 AM
  • If you haven't update to the latest Update Rollup I would recommend doing so and see whether the issues go away.

The latest update rollup can be found here:

Update Rollup 5 for System Center 2016 Data Protection Manager

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Tuesday, October 15, 2019 2:32 PM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2018 1:34 PM