Transaction log issue when publishing content RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We are currently seeing a weird issue with one of our SharePoint 2007 content databases. When a user tries to publish an item on the website, the transactionlog goes totally berserk: it fills up 3Gb within 30 seconds, while the database is just a mere 2Gb. As we do regular transactionlog backups (hourly), the issue is usually resolved automatically, but I do not consider this normal behaviour.

I'm familiar with the workings of databasefiles, transactionlogs, recovery models etc, and know that fiddling with those (except increasing the maximum size of the transactionlog) will be of no help.

As of yet, I have not been able to find someone with a similar issue, but I'm pretty sure someone will have seen this before. Any help resolving this issue will be highly appreciated.

Rick.

• Edited by LordFox1973 Tuesday, December 18, 2012 1:15 PM Textual errors
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 1:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your question. I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:51 AM
  • Hi,

On the affected site please check the following:

1. Auditing settings à ensure they are configured for what the business needs.  This might be set to an excessive setting.
    2. The actual file itself, how many versions of that file are there are excessive consider implementing a plan where you store only X amount of versions.

Regards, Savoeurn Va Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:22 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply. No specific auditing settings have been set, so nothing to fix there.

Also, no settings have been made regarding limiting the number of versions. I have asked the people responsible to change at least that setting to something useful. They are, however, not entirely convinced it will fix the problem. One reason for that is that they recently already deleted numerous old versions, which did not help resolve the issue.

Regards,
    Rick

Thursday, December 20, 2012 8:22 AM
  • Hi,

Another thing to check on is to see if there are any custom solutions that do anything with the upload like a custom event receiver or even a workflow that is triggered by on change or new items.

If you want further help narrow this down, you might want to consider opening a support ticket to have an engineer look at with you to see why the T-log is growing.

Regards, Savoeurn Va Microsoft Online Community Support

Sunday, January 6, 2013 5:52 PM