none
Virtualizing a server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, Please bear with me because I am fairly new to virtualization in general.

I am attempting to virtualize a windows server 2012 r2 so that I may run it from a hyper visor host on a separate server, what is the best way to create a .vhd or .vhdx file from a live physical machine? I understand there is a tool called sysinternals disk2vhd, but this particular tool has thus far not worked for me, are there any other alternative method for accomplishing this task?

Thursday, July 11, 2019 6:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Something here may help.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-r2-and-2012/dn874008(v%3Dws.11)

but the recommeded / cleaner / safer method is to stand up a new instance at destination, patch it fully and migrate the roles or applications over to it.

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 6:48 PM
  • Hi,

Good Day! And thanks for posting in our forum!

>> what is the best way to create a .vhd or .vhdx file from a live physical machine?

disk2vhd is a good way. But you said it is useless for you.

So, for this situation, I think the better way is spin up a new server then restore files to it and finally copy over those which have changed? You get a better OS that won't be end of life soon, you get to test out your restore process and you don't have all the oddities that a P2V will bring.

Hope this can help you, please feel free to let me know if you have any other question.

BR,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 12, 2019 1:38 AM