none
Best way to patch office 2013 before capture WIM file and deploy through MDT2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have build & capture TS for deploy windows 8, office 2013 and other softwares like java etc. I have enabled windows update (pre-application) and windows update (Post application) but looks like these steps are not updating office 2013 components like word 2013, excel 2013 etc. and just get OS patches\security updates. Looking some guidance to patch\update office 2013 before I capture WIM file. Currently, when I deploy image to end user system, it detects office 2013 updates (around 20-25). I need to have a fully patched\updated image to deploy including office 2013 components for end users. Any pointers\guidance how to do it with MDT 2012 would be appreciated. Thanks

Regards,

Monday, September 2, 2013 9:12 PM

All replies

• I find it strange that even after enabling Windows updates you'll be stuck with even more updates after your WIM creation has finished. First thing I would recommend you to do is enable dynamic logging so that you can see your bdd.log where all the updates are listed so we can see what updates are queried, installed and possibly skipped. Do this by pasting the following line into your customsettings.ini:

SLShareDynamicLogging=%DeployRoot%\Logs\%COMPUTERNAME%

Next instead of enabling Windows Update in the task sequence to automatically install the updates, place the followinfg command after the command:

This will allow you to only query the updates instead of installing them.

When done so, check your bdd.log with trace64 or trace86 to find which updates are queried and would have been installed. If this is not enough, you can try to add another Windows Update cycle to your task sequence. Use a WSUS server, or supply all the Office patches in the .\Updates folder of Office 2013 itself, this way all the updates that can be installed automatically by installing Office 2013 are applied.

Find more info on that topic here:

Distribute updates for Office 2013 products

Deploying Office 2013 with MDT 2012 - Silent Installation

Using the Updates folder to deploy software updates during an Office 2010 installation

Good luck!

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 9:12 AM
  • What Rens stated should put you on the right track.  For reference, I have a Windows 8 + Office 2013 that gets fully patched with the standard Task Sequence, so it may be an issue with your WSUS not having the appropriate patches.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 12:25 PM
    Answerer
  • I find that sometimes there's two updates (or more) that need to be installed, and the first one requires a reboot after being installed before the second one will even be presented for install. For this reason, I always restart my VMs a few times after installing Windows Updates before I capture an image. 

-Nick O.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 2:52 PM
  • Hi,

As of now we don't have WSUS in our environment so I am relying on MDT to patch\update Windows + Office initially.

So what I understand is MDT can patch office 2013 components but somehow not doing it in my environment.

MS-office 2013 have additional language pack with it..would it be an issue if office 2013 has additional language?

Is there anyway to download msp (update files online) for office 2013 and push those  through 'Apply patches'?

Any pointers will be appreciated.  

Regards

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 2:59 PM
  • I use the LTISuspend.wsf script to pause my task sequence to manually run Windows Updates, make some manual adjustments, customize the Windows 8 Start screen, etc. To do this, just add a Run Command Line task as the very last step in the State Restore group (right before the Imaging group) and add the command - cscript.exe "%SCRIPTROOT%\LTISuspend.wsf".

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 3:02 AM
  • Note that "Windows Update" is just for updating Windows components.

There is also "Microsoft Update" which is for updating non windows components like Office.

My default ZTIWindowsUpdate.wsf will update the OS to the latest Windows Update Agent (which isn't really needed for Windows 8), and will *enable* "Microsoft Update" so it can check for both Windows and non-windows related downloads.

THe fact that your image needs to be updated constantly isn't unexpected, Microsoft will make new patches available all the time, you need to re-run ZTIWindowsUpdate.wsf again and again.

If you find that ZTIWindowsUpdate is *not* updating components, check the bdd.log, if that does not work, check the c:\windows\WindowsUpdate.log file. There may be some updates that are having troubles installing (wouldn't surprise me).

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 4:40 AM
  • Hi,

Looks ike my MDT server doen't able to connect with windows update at windows update (Post-application) step.

I could see below in BDD log file:

wired thing is, if I got to the VM and check for updates manually, it pulls around 39 updates for MS-office 2013.

Not sure why is it not pulling updates through MDT task Windows Update (Post-applications). Pre-applications step works fine and pulls around 64 windows 8 updates. Not able to figure out what really going on with MDT here...Windows update (pre-application) step looks for internet through MDT server? and Post -application looks from within VM? However, in case I have internet connection to pull windows update from internet.

Need some pointers pls.. Thanks

Regards,

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 12:04 PM
  • There are no updates "through the MDT server" unless your MDT server is also a WSUS server or is a host for your VMs (and you're reaching out to the Internet for updates.) The update process is done on the computer, in this case your VM. The Windows Update (Post-application) step may not find any updates, which is why it is coming back with nothing.

Like a few of us have mentioned, I would add a Restart Computer step after the Windows Update (Pre-application) step. There are some updates that will require a reboot - meaning a preceding update must be installed - for Windows Updates will even detect there is a new update. I see this behavior regularly. 

For testing purposes, you could create a custom task sequence that just runs Windows Updates. On the VM, connect to the deployment share, run your Windows Updates only TS, reboot, then run it again and see if it pulls any additional updates.

-Nick O.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 4:28 PM
  • NExt step is to check the windowsupdate.log file to see why the Update Agent failed to connect over the internet.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 5:32 PM