none
HIS 2009 requires reinstalling after motherboard changes RRS feed

• Question

• I have came across HIS 2009 server problem after replacing motherboards last week on 3 different servers, HIS 2009 requires to reinstall in order to have Ether1 connection to become active. HIS 2009 Server was installed and working prior to motherboard replacement.

OS is Windows 2008 Server Standard without Hyper-V SP2. HIS 2009 32-bit edition using SNADLC Link service.

Did anyone come across this problem ?

I did not find this is a problem with previous HIS 2000 Server.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 2:33 AM

Answers

• got the same kind of troubles on HP Blade servers with teaming on NIC cards (unsupported but works...)

using SNADLC the active NIC needs to be associated in the SNADLC properties

using IPDLC the trick is to switch to another ip, save, reboot, etc... then switch back to the original ip, save, reboot...

Laurent THALER
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 10:13 AM

All replies

• Was the Ethernet NIC on the motherboard? If so, did you happen to try removing and reinstalling the SnaDlc Link Service or jsut check to see if the new adapter was listed when viewing the link service properties?

What errors were logged int eh event log when the connection wouldn't activated?

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 3:10 AM
  • Yes, the NICs are on the motherboard. It seems to be the standard these days.

Yes, I have tried to remove and reinstall the SNADLC link service. The new adapter was listed before and after the change. I also made sure SNADLC1 appears in the Ether1 connection Link service.

The following appears in the application eventlog.

Invalid adapter \DEVICE\{2B6F4AC5-B7AF-4413-88D8-50DBCE8B0A8D} configured for link service SNADLC1

EXPLANATION

The DLC (802.2) link service is configured to use an NDIS adapter that is not installed.

CAUSE

The error is reporting that a link service that is configured to use a DLC 802.2 Link Service could not find an adapter bound to the driver specified for the Link Service. This message indicates one of the following:

- A connection or media problem inserting into the Token Ring network.

- A configuration problem with the network adapter.

- A hardware problem with the adapter.

See the following Microsoft KnowledgeBase article for more information regarding the possible causes of this problem:

ID: Q149803 Troubleshooting Error 242 When Use DLC 802.2 Link Services

ACTION

Refer to the installation manual for details on installing the DLC drivers. Check that the setting of the adapter (primary or secondary) corresponds to the link service configuration.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:23 AM
  • Peter,

The error message helps. This indicates that that problem is most likely happening because DLC is not bound to the new adapter after the motherboard switch.

Is there any way for you to verify that DLC is bound to the correct adapter?

When you go to look at the connection properties under Control Panel, do you see that DLC is bound to the new adapter?

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:19 PM
  • Stephen,

I didn't check it. I will do it next time. I don't recall doing this kind of check in HIS 2000.

Do you mean DLC is checked in Local Area Connection properties of the active NIC ?

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:55 PM
  • Yes. It should be checked. I haven't been able to test this as I don't really have a way to change a motherboard out. <g>

With HIS 2000, what version of Windows Server was being used?

DLC was included in Windows through Windows 2000 Server. After that it was removed from Windows and then we provided (and isntalled) it with HIS. There could be some difference here, but DLC really hasn't changed in years except for a couple of bug fixes. 

Stephen Jackson - MSFT
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 3:37 PM
  • It was Windows Server 2003. DLC was installed separately from HIS and OS.

I will have to wait for the next occurence to check the above.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 1:38 AM
  • got the same kind of troubles on HP Blade servers with teaming on NIC cards (unsupported but works...)

using SNADLC the active NIC needs to be associated in the SNADLC properties

using IPDLC the trick is to switch to another ip, save, reboot, etc... then switch back to the original ip, save, reboot...

Laurent THALER
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 10:13 AM
  • in fact with IPDLC there is something to do even more simple:

stop and disable all SNAIPx services prior to do any changes related to NIC cards
    shutdown the server
    do any hardware change needed
    power on the server
    enable and start the SNAIPx services

usually it works :-)

of course this is not possible in case of an hardware failure, so... do not forgot the previous trick

Laurent THALER
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:44 PM