Event Viewer: Microsoft Exchange with Database Availability Group Events - Query Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

When opeing the custom event viwer log "Microsoft Exchange with Database Availability Group Events " I am getting an error that pops up before the event log is shown. It states:

Query Error
    One or more logs in the query have errors
    Log: Microsoft-Windows-FailoverClustering/Operational
    Error: The specified channel could not be found. Check channel configuration.

I have re-netered the xml from the custom view properties / edit query tab as a new custom view:

<QueryList>
    <Query Id="0" Path="Application">
    <Select Path="Application">*</Select>
    <Select Path="System">*</Select>
    </Query>
    </QueryList>

And the resuling log works but includes many more events...  What is wrong with the default log that Exchange 2010 installs causing the aforementioned error? Should not the xml render identical results when re-entered as a new custom view?

Ex2010 RU2 on W2008 Ent R2- Configured for Internet Mail Flow Directly Through a Hub Transport Server. Roles include ADDS, ADCS, DHCP, DNS, FS, NPAS, and IIS.

Monday, March 15, 2010 1:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Since you do not have DAG configured in the network, then I think we may ignore "Microsoft Exchange with Database Availability Group Events".

Besides, if you want to create a custom view, I recommend you to create a new custom view.

• Marked as answer by Xiu Zhang Thursday, March 18, 2010 9:02 AM
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 9:25 AM

All replies

• I don't see the error on my servers.
    Is the server you're opening this on a member of a Dag?
    In the Applications and Services Logs is there a Microsoft-Windows-FailoverClustering\Operational channel?
    Monday, March 15, 2010 4:39 PM
  • Thanks for the reply,

"No" to both questions - No DAG (stand alone test PDC with a lone Win7 clinet PC). The App & Service logs has the standard array of: AD Web Services, DFS Rep, DS, DNS, Hardware. IE & Key Management Service.

I am more curious to know why copy/pasting the XML from the Exchange created log yields different (more) results than the original (6000 events vs 2500 after 10 days).  If I could understand the log's criteria perhaps it would point to a missing componant.

Does the Exchange created log apply anything more than the XML?  (i.e. is it working in conjunction with filters?  My understanding was that it was 'one or the other' but not both...

Install was totally standard/default - have not changed/modified any settings, as minimal configuration as possible.

Thanks again for your time
    Monday, March 15, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Since there isn't a Dag, ignore that custom filter.
    Monday, March 15, 2010 9:18 PM
  • Hi,

Since you do not have DAG configured in the network, then I think we may ignore "Microsoft Exchange with Database Availability Group Events".

Besides, if you want to create a custom view, I recommend you to create a new custom view.

• Marked as answer by Xiu Zhang Thursday, March 18, 2010 9:02 AM
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 9:25 AM
  • Thanks for the help gentlemen & the link is most informative.

Cheers
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 9:54 AM
  • It's my pleasure.

Regards,
    Xiu

Thursday, March 18, 2010 9:02 AM
  • I have the same problem on two machines. This is a default custom view created by a Microsoft install (typically Exchange).

It's indicative of a problem on Microsoft's end (programming) and the work-around is to right-click and delete the custom view that was created by Microsoft during the program installation.

So the post marked as answered (above) is not actually correct. The problem is created by Microsoft and it can be readily duplicated by installing Exchange 2010.

Unfortunately, Microsoft seems to be adopting the default position of 'we can ignore the problem' rather then addressing the real problem which is the Microsoft Installation.

• Proposed as answer by Dave Onex Wednesday, June 22, 2011 12:44 AM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 12:43 AM
  • I just wanted to add to this, since I came here from searching for this error. On a fresh Server 2012 install with Exchange 2010 SP3 install, I began receiving this error. I took Dave's advice and recreated the view.

It was not until I compared screenshots of the two that the error becomes apparent. In the default created custom view: "Microsoft Exchange with Database Availability Group Events", going into Properties, you will find the 'By Log' selector set to "Application,System". This is also what is entered into the XML on the second tab. However, the radio button is set to 'By Source' and the 'By Log' is greyed out.

Select 'By Log' and select "Application & System" under 'Windows Logs' and click 'OK'. This will fix the error and populate the even log fully.

Otherwise, 'Create Custom View' and set up your own. I shortened the title to "Exchange with DAG Events" to cull the wasted space.

• Proposed as answer by Gtrapp Saturday, April 12, 2014 3:15 PM
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:13 PM
  • So nobody actually thought about installing Features/Failover Clustering?
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:09 PM