none
Role based resource vs actual user name RRS feed

• Question

• We are piloting on-premise project server 2013 with IT projects. We are keeping it simple with mostly OOTB capabilities. On first phase of roll out, we are focusing on schedule and resource management aspect of PPM. One blocking point has been for us is in the type of resource to use on Enterprise resource.

My (as SP tech guy) take is to use active directory profile (selected group of users via AD group) to create resource on PWA. This way we can take advantage of consolidated "my tasks" under My Site, roll up of tasks, issues and various alerts configured based on due, upcoming or overdue tasks. If someone leaves or replaced by another user, we can easily deligate another user. But my business users (IT PMs) wants to use role name that is not associated with AD account. Instead they plan to maintain separate list indicating who is who. So we will have resources like PM1, PM2, Dev 1, Admin 1, Admin 2 etc. On this seperate list we will maintain John is PM1, Sheila is PM2 , on and on .. you get the picture. Their take is this makes management easier as they do not need to know user itself and while reporting it makes it easier to pull based on role instead of individual user.

I strongly think that using AD resource can achieve their demand plus ease of use but I have not been able to convice them. So can anyone please share their experience of using role based resource, its pros and cons. And any other plus points I can present to use AD account?

Thanks,

KM

P.S. We are using SharePoint permission mode and use AD username while assigning issues and risks.

MK Sin

Friday, March 6, 2015 5:08 PM

Answers

• KM Singh,

Oh boy! I struggled to keep my answer short and meaningful for this question. There is too much to write.

The pros and cons depends on what you want users to do in the system.

What do you want to happen when PM's assign tasks etc., in the system? Do you want your team members to view the tasks,  submit updates, interact with projects etc? Then Role based Resources will not cut it.

Role based resources will help the PMs, but this way, you are not taking full advantage of the capabilities of the system.,

Having said that, you can (and should) do both. It is a standard practice to set up both Role based resources (called Generic Resources) AND AD account based Resources (called a Named Resource) in a Project Server Environment. In  addition, you can set up the mapping within Project Server itself, instead of maintaining a separate list.

Here is how:

1) First of all understand that "resources" are different, from "Users" in Project Server. If you want your users (team members) to actually interact with the system, then they need to be set up as Users . (see this thread)

2) Set up the Roles as Generic Resources

3) Set up AD account based Resources as well (and users if you want them to log into system and so on). This will give you a resource pool.

4) Now set up a resource level custom field called Role (or Skill or whatever you want to name it as), and map each role to both generic resources and the Named Resources.

Now your PM's can assign tasks to the Generic Resources, and if your process allows it, the Resource Manager can switch the Generic Resources with Named Resources at appropriate point in the process. That will take away the complaint of the PM's that they do not know who the actual resource is. Also, you can use matching functionality to identify resources by role. And finally, you can report at the role level, so that answers the question too.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

• Marked as answer by Mo Key Friday, March 6, 2015 7:44 PM
    Friday, March 6, 2015 5:39 PM

All replies

• KM Singh,

Oh boy! I struggled to keep my answer short and meaningful for this question. There is too much to write.

The pros and cons depends on what you want users to do in the system.

What do you want to happen when PM's assign tasks etc., in the system? Do you want your team members to view the tasks,  submit updates, interact with projects etc? Then Role based Resources will not cut it.

Role based resources will help the PMs, but this way, you are not taking full advantage of the capabilities of the system.,

Having said that, you can (and should) do both. It is a standard practice to set up both Role based resources (called Generic Resources) AND AD account based Resources (called a Named Resource) in a Project Server Environment. In  addition, you can set up the mapping within Project Server itself, instead of maintaining a separate list.

Here is how:

1) First of all understand that "resources" are different, from "Users" in Project Server. If you want your users (team members) to actually interact with the system, then they need to be set up as Users . (see this thread)

2) Set up the Roles as Generic Resources

3) Set up AD account based Resources as well (and users if you want them to log into system and so on). This will give you a resource pool.

4) Now set up a resource level custom field called Role (or Skill or whatever you want to name it as), and map each role to both generic resources and the Named Resources.

Now your PM's can assign tasks to the Generic Resources, and if your process allows it, the Resource Manager can switch the Generic Resources with Named Resources at appropriate point in the process. That will take away the complaint of the PM's that they do not know who the actual resource is. Also, you can use matching functionality to identify resources by role. And finally, you can report at the role level, so that answers the question too.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

• Marked as answer by Mo Key Friday, March 6, 2015 7:44 PM
    Friday, March 6, 2015 5:39 PM
  • Hi Prasanna,

Thanks a million for quick and very helpful reply. This totally makes sense and also gives me some leverage while presenting this idea. 

Really appreciated!

KM

MK Sin

Friday, March 6, 2015 7:43 PM