PAS Event Log access RRS feed

• Question

• We are going to be turning on the all the event logging on our PAS server and I wanted to know how to connect to the query log files for who is hitting which libraries, pages, books..etc.  I will be using Reporting Services to connect to these logs...i understand that they are not going into a regular SQL Server database.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you 

-dk

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 10:03 PM

Answers

• You are correct.  In order to get to the page level you would need to actually parse the IIS log for the page id, and then reference that to the page id in the BookElements table of the PAS database.
    Microsoft ProClarity | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by d5klein Monday, February 9, 2009 10:42 PM
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 1:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please refer to this blog :http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/proclarity/thread/19f79a8f-df79-4005-b455-2490b6dff9cb/

Thanks

Bidyut

To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:00 AM
  • Thanks for the blog posting...i did see that before..

part of the issue that is becoming apparent is that when you have the logs turned on, it seems to only track items down to the book level, not the individual page level.  i am trying to find out when people are actually running individual breifing-book pages in a proclarity book, and the log files seem to create an entry for every single page in a brieifng book, regardless of if the user actually ran it or not, which does not help much.

is there anyway to isolate down to the individual brieifng book page level?

-dk

Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:18 PM
  • You are correct.  In order to get to the page level you would need to actually parse the IIS log for the page id, and then reference that to the page id in the BookElements table of the PAS database.
    Microsoft ProClarity | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by d5klein Monday, February 9, 2009 10:42 PM
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 1:02 AM
  • this did do the trick!  thanks for the info! :)

Monday, February 2, 2009 3:46 PM
  • HI d5klein

I have the same mechanism in production for a few years now, parsing the event logs using SSIS and combining that data with the PAS database to get me usage figures for ProClarity

However, when we moved to Windows 2008 we lost all ProClarity Event Logs for users who were not administrators of the server.  I just wondered if you are on Windows 2008 and if you have ever experienced the same issue?

many thanks for your time

regards

Stuart Lawrence

STUART LAWRENCE
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 4:40 PM
  • hi

i am vaibhavi

i want to retrieve data for our dashboard i.e how many user are hitting the dashboard ,accessing which data etc.

I have got log files from iis but its not perfect data.

I have seen proclarity Event viwer which gives proper information about the actual usage of dashbaord per user.

But i dnt knw how can i track this data on day 2 day basis.

can i get your help

Thanks in advance :)

waiting for your reply

Friday, October 29, 2010 5:10 PM
  • hi

i am vaibhavi

i want to retrieve data for our dashboard i.e how many user are hitting the dashboard ,accessing which data etc.

I have got log files from iis but its not perfect data.

I have seen proclarity Event viwer which gives proper information about the actual usage of dashbaord per user.

But i dnt knw how can i track this data on day 2 day basis.

can i get your help

Thanks in advance :)

waiting for your reply
    Friday, October 29, 2010 5:11 PM