none
Missing Virtual Adapters on Client - reinstalling manually RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a client with a problem I've never encountered before.  His Win 8.1 machine seems to have 'disappeared' the virtual adapters necessary for our DirectAccess connectivity to work.  

I've followed guides to reinstall the 3 missing adapters (Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-interface, IPHTTPSinterface, and Microsoft 6to4 adapter), but he never gets an IP on any of them and DA doesn't function.

I've verified that all the group policies in question are correct, and he's got IPV6 enabled on his NIC, but I'm still not seeing any IPV6 ips on the virtual interfaces.

Anyone with experience reinstalling these interfaces by hand have any advice?  Do I need to somehow bind them to the physical NIC after reinstalling them in device manager?
    Thursday, October 9, 2014 7:30 PM

All replies

• Hi There, 

Can you please elaborate when it seem to disappear ? Was there any recent change in Machine , which you think might have created this problem?

Also can you confirm, if you have UAG DA or 2012 DA?

As you may know, DA doesn't require any manual intervention / config at the client machines. that being said, YOU DO NOT have to play around with teredo, 6to4 or IP-HTTPS interfaces by Uninstalling or Reinstalling. 

Just verify the machine is getting the group policy for DirectAccess (you can get this info by typing gpresult /r at the client from a elevated cmd/PS).

If your DA doesn't seem to work, you might start troubleshooting from DCA logs and proceed.

Let me know, how it goes. will be more than happy to help! :)

Friday, October 10, 2014 6:32 AM
  • Here is a excellent article on troubleshooting

http://blogs.technet.com/b/edgeaccessblog/archive/2010/04/07/basic-troubleshooting-steps-for-uag-directaccess.aspx

Also consider using this tool as well.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41938

Friday, October 10, 2014 6:38 AM
  • We're using 2012.  I'm not sure what occurred with the machine that these adapters would have been removed - the user doesn't even have administrative access to the machine so it's got to be some incidental thing, not a software install / change.

The DA GP does show in gpresult, and the adapters in place, but they still aren't functional.  I think my next step is to simply reimage the machine.

Friday, October 10, 2014 4:15 PM
  • If you could see, DA GPOs in place, i can tell you for sure, Windows will take care of enabling or disabling those adapters when needed.

Also, as you may know, DA works ONLY when machine learns its in Internet. 

Can you please confirm if you are getting NRPT ? You can get this info by tying this command from a elevated cmd. 

"netsh name show effective"

Since you have played around with Uninstalling and Re-installing Virtual adapters, honestly I do not know, how this might impact DAs natural behaviour. So in my opinion you can re-imagine the machine.

OR

You could disjoin the machine and Re-join the machine to the domain and re-add the machine to the required groups, which might flush all settings for DA.

Please let me know, how it goes. will be more than happy to help! :)

• Edited by Vasu Deva Friday, October 10, 2014 6:33 PM
    Friday, October 10, 2014 6:31 PM