Problems with Access 2007 runiing under Windows 8.1 and Oracle V5.2 Connector/ODBC RRS feed

• Question

• Good Afternoon

I am slowly driving myself crazy trying to get an ODBC file to work - can anyone help with advice?

I have a pc running under VISTA which has for several years linked an Access 2007 database to an Oracle V5.2 Connector/ODBC.  I have a new laptop running under Windows 8.1 which refuses to do the same!  I have succesfully loaded the files from Oracle, and they show in the directories.  However, when I open the Access database, the first error message I get is "Action Failed" withe error number 2950.If I then stop all macros, the database table object appear (with blue discs), but when I try to open, I get error message "ODBC - connectoin to MySql ODBC 5.1 Driver...failed. If I cancel that and go to linked table manager, and select all and always prompt for a new location, and OK, the Select Data source screen appears asking for a file in the "documents" folder, but if I then go to Program Files (x86) and MySQL, the folder "connector ODBC 5.2" appears, but whatever I do then achieves nothing at all. OK does notresult in any action, but there is a blank  for DSN Name, prompting perhaps for a new one, and when I select MySQL ODBC 5.2 ANSI Driver from the list. it asks for the name of the new data source I want to save this connector to. If I enter that, I then get My SQL Connector/ODBC screen asking for details. If I enter those I get an error "A connection could not be made using the file data source paramets entered. Save non-verified DSN". If I say "yes" to that, nothing happens except that the "refreshing linked tables" in the bottom left corner of the screen is show, but no sign of movement.

I apologise for the rambling explanation, but I really cannot fathom what is wrong, unless there is some conflict somewhere!!

I look forward to anything anyone can offer to restore my sanity!!

Many thanks in anticipation.

Chris McDonald

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 5:15 PM