none
Windows keeps changing permission to my folders so I can't update them RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

For some reason windows won't let me take ownership of particular folders. 

Also, it seems to be changing permissions of folders so they stop working properly.

Whenever I try to take ownership it says Failed to enumerate objects in container. Access denied. 

I have tried all of the fixes listed for this and nothing has helped.  

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 1:47 PM

All replies

• Dear markscholes,

Maybe try this link out

Link: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-failed-to-enumerate-objects-in-the-container

Please Reply back if this does not work.

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 2:32 PM
  • Nope those are the tips that i have seen elsewhere and they don't work
    Tuesday, August 7, 2018 2:36 PM
  • In fact it is following that exact process that causes the failed to enumerate objects in container error
    Tuesday, August 7, 2018 2:40 PM
  • I know what I need to do but in windows 10 it seems to be impossible. Whenever I faced a similar problem with windows 7 I allowed the user to have full access to the folder including ticking the special permissions box. That is what I can't do. There doesn't seem to be anyway to do this in 10
    Tuesday, August 7, 2018 3:14 PM
  • I know what I need to do but in windows 10 it seems to be impossible. Whenever I faced a similar problem with windows 7 I allowed the user to have full access to the folder including ticking the special permissions box. That is what I can't do. There doesn't seem to be anyway to do this in 10

Maybe try from the command line:

In an elevated command prompt

takeown /F "C:\Whatever the folder path is" /R /A /D Y
    icacls "C:\Whatever the folder path is" /reset /T /C
    That should reset everything in that folder.
    Tuesday, August 7, 2018 5:09 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. 

when I run the first command it says "access denied" I am running cmd as administrator. 

I tried it with my documents folder and a new folder I created on my desktop 

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 5:27 PM
  • Hi,

So was your issue resolved?

If no, try this methods provided in this similar thread:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-security/permission-error-failed-to-enumerate-objects-in/93ea883f-853f-4981-a697-928bfbc71642

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 7:35 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. 

when I run the first command it says "access denied" I am running cmd as administrator. 

I tried it with my documents folder and a new folder I created on my desktop 

This is starting to sound like malware - have you done any kind of scan? What antivirus do you have installed?

If that still came up clean, my next step would be to boot into WinPE and have a look at the rights from there, but that's not entirely simple if you aren't already geared up for doing that.

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 8:39 AM