none
Windows Updates - KB vs MS Bulliten - What is the difference? RRS feed

• Question

• Under Software Updates there are some KB..... updates that have a MS bulletin ID (MS12-003) and some that do not. What is the difference? I ask because while following an otherwise excellent tutorial on Updates Deployment part of the instructions for searching for updates to install was to include Bulletin ID "MS" as one of the search criteria, but this would leave out all KB's that don't have a Bulletin ID from the deployment.
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 3:10 PM

Answers

• To piggy back on this, KB stands for knowledgebase. Things identified by a KB number are hotfixes directly associated with a Microsoft knowledge base article. To my knowledge, all hotfixes have a corresponding knowledgebase article (that of course does not imply that all knowledgebase articles have a hotfix, that would be false logic and you would fail logic 101 if you came to this conclusion).

MS bulletins are security bulletins that Microsoft issues. If the security bulletin has an associated hotfix, then it will also be accompanied by a hotfix which of course has an associated KB article.

Microsoft of course creates lots of hotfixes for its broad range of products, most of which are not security related and thus there is no need to issue a MS bulletin.

Thus, like Don said, if you only apply MS bulletins, you will only get security updates.

(note that update and hotfix are generally interchangeable terms)

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

• Marked as answer by LZ33 Thursday, October 4, 2012 3:11 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by LZ33 Thursday, October 4, 2012 3:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by LZ33 Thursday, October 4, 2012 3:12 PM
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 12:43 AM

All replies

• Which tutorial are you talking about? Any Chance that they are using "MS" to identify the manufacturer of the patch? Can't you just use "vendor" instead?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 3:27 PM
  • It came from here, but looks like it was taken from windows-noob: http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/nbrady/archive/2011/11/06/using-sccm-2012-rc-in-a-lab-part-6-deploying-software-updates.aspx

If you add the Bulliten ID Field to your search you can see what I'm talking about. I believe the ID's pertain to the fix and the individual KB's pertain to the OS they apply to. I just don't understand why some KB's don't have Bulletin ID's attached and what makes those KB's different.

- LZ

• Edited by LZ33 Wednesday, October 3, 2012 3:58 PM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 3:57 PM
  • Niall's guides are examples for learning, not really firm rules for production environments, they are intended to get you started.

Because of the above, he skips a few things, to keep the example simple.

using only "MS" bulletins means you only get the "Security" updates, and none of the "Non-Security" updates.

In a production environment, you would not skip them.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:30 PM
  • To piggy back on this, KB stands for knowledgebase. Things identified by a KB number are hotfixes directly associated with a Microsoft knowledge base article. To my knowledge, all hotfixes have a corresponding knowledgebase article (that of course does not imply that all knowledgebase articles have a hotfix, that would be false logic and you would fail logic 101 if you came to this conclusion).

MS bulletins are security bulletins that Microsoft issues. If the security bulletin has an associated hotfix, then it will also be accompanied by a hotfix which of course has an associated KB article.

Microsoft of course creates lots of hotfixes for its broad range of products, most of which are not security related and thus there is no need to issue a MS bulletin.

Thus, like Don said, if you only apply MS bulletins, you will only get security updates.

(note that update and hotfix are generally interchangeable terms)

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

• Marked as answer by LZ33 Thursday, October 4, 2012 3:11 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by LZ33 Thursday, October 4, 2012 3:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by LZ33 Thursday, October 4, 2012 3:12 PM
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 12:43 AM
  • Thanks all. I guess if I looked closer at the updates that would have become clear. I knew that I should install the updates not marked as bulletins, but I just wanted to be clear on the difference and now I am.

Thanks again,

Shawn

- LZ

• Edited by LZ33 Thursday, October 4, 2012 3:14 PM
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 3:13 PM