Trying to understand WSUS updates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have installed a Windows 2012 R2 server with WSUS services. I have created a TestGroup of computers to check the installation and make tests before put it in production. I have configured a GPO for 4 computers: One Windows 2008 R2 server, one Windows 2012 R2 Server, one Windows 10 client and one Windows 7 client. This GPO puts those 4 computers into the TestGroup group.

I have set to update computers once a day. I have downloaded all available updates in WSus server, and approved all for the TestGroup.

I see in that group that, for example, one of the servers needs 95 updates. They are approved but not installed. I log into that server, manually seach for updates, and the Windows Update screen says that there is no update available, the server is up to date. But in update history, it has updates installed from WSUS.

What is the reason for this to happen? How can I solve it?

Monday, March 14, 2016 8:46 AM

Answers

All replies

• Am 14.03.2016 schrieb Francisco J. Gaspar:

I have set to update computers once a day. I have downloaded all available updates in WSus server, and approved all for the TestGroup.

Are all Updates really downloaded? Look at Startpage from your
    WSUS.MSC, you are looking for Downloadstatus.

Winfried

WSUS Package Publisher: http://wsuspackagepublisher.codeplex.com/
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb332157.aspx
    http://www.wsuswiki.com/Home

Monday, March 14, 2016 5:42 PM
  • Hi Francisco,

According to your description, we may check the following things:

1. On WSUS server, check the computers status, check if the clients report to WSUS server successfully recently;

2. On WSUS clients, we may test "check online for updates from Windows Update", this will tell us if the clients needs these updates indeed. If the clients needs the updates indeed while it couldn't detect from WSUS sever, then let's do further troubleshooting;

3. On WSUS clients, rename SoftwareDistribution folder, check if it could help:

Open CMD, enter net stop wuauserv;

Find the folder located in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution, rename it.

In CMD, enter net start wuauserv.

Then check from WSUS server again.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 1:42 AM
  • Thanks for the answers. It was the problem told by Winfried. The patches were not really downloaded in the server.

Just another question. I have configured servers to download the updates automatically, but install them manually (to avoid unwanted restarts). I have updated one test server, and the last report to WSUS is from yesterday.

The Wsus shows the server still needs 29 updates. The server says there is no updates to apply. I run 'Search for new updates', and it says there is no new updates to download. In the WSUS, I look the 29 updates and none of them are installed in the server. They are downloaded.

The rename of folder SoftwareDistribution, will check all updates again? What will happen with installed ones?

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 10:25 AM
  • Hi Francisco J.Gaspar,

>The rename of folder SoftwareDistribution, will check all updates again? What will happen with installed ones?

Updates downloaded will be stored in SoftwareDistribution folder, if we rename it, check for updates will download needed updates again, but updates have been installed will not be downloaded again.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 2:02 AM
  • Thanks for the help. Everything works yet.
    Wednesday, March 16, 2016 10:38 AM