none
Upgrade from windows Server 2012 standard to 2012 R2 standard RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am having a server where windows server 12 standard is installed.(System is standalone not connected to any network)

I want to upgrade windows from 2012 standard to 2012 R2 standard.

I am also having installable media of windows server 2012R2 standard.

Can i use media without booting as ISO file in external hard drive (Or pen drive ) and by clicking on setup file will it be possible to upgrade from windows server 2012 standard to windows server 2012R2 standard.

Or i have to do any other changes.

Please help me.

abc

Monday, November 14, 2016 8:30 AM

All replies

• Yes, you can copy the iso files on a folder on disc and upgrade from that location.
    • Proposed as answer by AlvwanModerator Wednesday, November 16, 2016 2:10 AM
    Monday, November 14, 2016 9:34 AM
  • Yes, and Panagiotis said, you can copy the files and upgrade from the copied location. But you will also need a 2012 R2 activation key. 2012 R2 is considered a new version of the operating system, so it needs to be activated with a 2012 R2 key. Just having the media will not suffice for upgrading.

. : | : . : | : . tim

• Proposed as answer by AlvwanModerator Wednesday, November 16, 2016 2:10 AM
    Monday, November 14, 2016 4:40 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 3:28 AM