Project Management RRS feed

• Question

• Will Project Management ever be a Work Item?  It seems like that's missing from SCSM.

Thanks

Matt

Matt B. Service Desk Tech.

Saturday, September 29, 2012 6:20 PM

Answers

• If Project Management ever be a Work Item is hard to say, you never know ;-). My guess is it's not covered in SCSM in the near future.

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

Saturday, September 29, 2012 9:25 PM

All replies

• If Project Management ever be a Work Item is hard to say, you never know ;-). My guess is it's not covered in SCSM in the near future.

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

Saturday, September 29, 2012 9:25 PM
  • Hello Matt,

Like Andreas I don't believe it will be covered soon, especially because Microsoft has a tool like Project Server :) 

But just out of curiousity, what are your requirements that you are asking this question?

- Dennis | Netherlands | Blog | Twitter

Monday, October 1, 2012 7:51 PM
  • Thank you Andreas and Dennis for your response.  Apologies for the late reply. 

Our Goal is to eliminate project server.  With Change management being an integral part of project management, it just seems like Projects would be an excellent fit for SCSM.

we are going to use the auth tool to modify the CR form to create another tab at the top called "projects".  Inside that tab we will populate all the necessary fields that our business requires.  A new CR template will be created where the "category" is called "Projects" so we can separate them out from all the other CR's.  Then all we have to do is create the activities for the template, and create the necessary workflows & views in the console.  It's not ideal, but it will effectively work.  Why pay for 2 systems when 1 will do the job?

We should probably create another WI but I'm not comfortable doing so....just too many custom changes.  So the modification to the CR form is all we need to migrate from project server to SCSM. 

Project Server might be a good solution for others, but it seems that SCSM can do everything that projects can do.  Perhaps a better question would be:  What can project server do that SCSM cant?

We are just a small/medium sized company (a couple thousand employees).  Any suggestions you may have is appreciated. 

Thanks

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:49 PM
  • Thank you Andreas and Dennis for your response.  Apologies for the late reply. 

Our Goal is to eliminate project server.  With Change management being an integral part of project management, it just seems like Projects would be an excellent fit for SCSM.

we are going to use the auth tool to modify the CR form to create another tab at the top called "projects".  Inside that tab we will populate all the necessary fields that our business requires.  A new CR template will be created where the "category" is called "Projects" so we can separate them out from all the other CR's.  Then all we have to do is create the activities for the template, and create the necessary workflows & views in the console.  It's not ideal, but it will effectively work.  Why pay for 2 systems when 1 will do the job?

We should probably create another WI but I'm not comfortable doing so....just too many custom changes.  So the modification to the CR form is all we need to migrate from project server to SCSM. 

Project Server might be a good solution for others, but it seems that SCSM can do everything that projects can do.  Perhaps a better question would be:  What can project server do that SCSM cant?

We are just a small/medium sized company (a couple thousand employees).  Any suggestions you may have is appreciated. 

Thanks

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:51 PM
  • Hello Matt,

That's an interesting view. I agree with you that SCSM certainly has some overlap with Project Server. 

I actually also work a lot with Project Server. I think Project Server has a couple of things which you definitely gonna miss like:
    Portfolio Management
    Capacity Management
    Timesheet and Task management

- Dennis | Netherlands | Blog | Twitter

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 3:31 PM
  • Matt,

Like Andreas, even I feel it is not covered in SCSM in the near future.

Regards

Jyoti Pandey

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 10:49 AM