SharePoint Permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to create permissions for users that only allow for check in check out of documents in the document library? I do not want to allow some users access to document upload and download.
    Monday, June 10, 2013 4:59 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure I'm understanding your goals and what you're trying to do.

What will users do with a document once it is checked out? In my experience usually a document is downloaded for editing once checked out, and then uploaded again to save the changes and check in.

Perhaps I am confusing the terminology. It will help if you will please provide more details about the process you are looking for.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Monday, June 10, 2013 8:01 PM
  • Sorry I was a little unclear. I would like to allow them to re-upload the document once they are done editing it but I do not want to allow users to upload a completely new document. I want them to only be able to work from the documents on the SharePoint site.
    Monday, June 10, 2013 9:59 PM
  • OK. In this case you'll want to create a new custom permission group that does not include the Add Items permission. The easiest way to do this is to copy the contribute permission level and remove the Add Items permission from your new permission level.

See Permission levels and permissions

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Monday, June 10, 2013 10:10 PM
  • Okay. I was looking into the permissions and just couldn't figure out what to check and what not to. Thanks a lot!

Monday, June 10, 2013 10:29 PM
  • I have tried the suggested fix and all it did was prevent the users from accessing all documents in the library. I tried applying the new permission to a group and it prevents the group from having permission on any folders. It does not even allow them to see the library.
    Friday, June 28, 2013 8:21 PM