Upgrade Path for SCCM 2012 to latest version available 2016/2017 RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently running the following version of System Center 2012 Configuration Manager

Version: 5.00.7711.0000

Build number: 7711

SCCM is hosted on a single server.

Our objective is to migrate to the latest version of SCCM, which I believe is 2016/2017. All our clients are running Windows 7 which we plan to upgrade to Windows 10. For WSUS alone we use separate servers.

1. Which path should we take to upgrade to the latest version.

Our New Server has arrived. We were thinking to do parallel installation of SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 (or SCCM 2016 or say SCCM 2017) and then configure the server. Once running fine, then migrate clients/users in batches to new server. This will not stop SCCM Services during upgrade.

Is Parallel Installation supported? If Yes, which version to begin with?

Please share multiple ideas & solutions with risks associated (if possible) so that we can follow that.

Fahad

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 4:41 AM

All replies

• Yes, they can be installed in parallel.
    The latest version is CM CB 1710, but you have to use the most recent baseline build first (1702) then upgrade to 1710.
    You can use Migration Jobs to migrate data from CM 2012 to CM CB.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 7:03 AM
  • Hi Torsten,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I was wondering would it be nice to go for latest current build or one version behind for stability & legacy support. SCCM 1602 (Baseline Build Number 5.0.8355.1000) & then upgrade to SCCM 1610 {Site: 5.0.8458.1000
    Console: 5.00.8458.1500, Client: 5.00.8458.1005} and later apply the last fix to upgrade the build to 

Also, in regards to parallel installation is there any documentation or blog with steps like what needs to be done first & how to proceed. What exactly you mean by Migration Jobs to migrate data from CM 2012 to CM CB.

I would like to be prepared properly before touching the running production.

Thanks again.

SCCM 1610
    SCCM 1610
    SCCM 1610

Fahad

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 8:23 AM
  • First, note that using version numbers like 5.00.8458.1005 is more or less meaningless as there are so many of them and no one has them memorized.

1602 is not one version behind. As Torsten called out, 1710 is the latest version with 1706 being one version behind. And no, to answer the question, I wouldn't recommend that anyway.

> "Also, in regards to parallel installation"

Why are you doing this at all instead of simply upgrading in place? A migration is not required to get to ConfigMgr CB from 2012 SP1, 2012 SP2, 2012 R2, or 2012 R2 SP1. If you want to move to a new server, for whatever reason, why not simply upgrade in place, then backup the site and restore to the new server: https://home.configmgrftw.com/configmgr-site-backup-restore/ ? It's much less painful and less work (generally) in the long run.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 1:50 PM
  • Hello Jason,

I appreciate your quick reply & wanted to explain few things from myside, so I'm responding to your response.

I already attempted in-place upgrade of SCCM 2012 RTM version server in different network zone & it went on to become a disaster. I always favor in place upgrade.

I followed Microsoft Recommendations from beginning till end & don't know what happened. When I logged a case with MS Support, they could not fix the problem. Luckily there were less users so I formatted the entire server & with a new name and identity I setup everything. This entire episode went on for at least a month. I don't want this to happen again.

Secondly coming to my version understanding..

Exchange 2010, Exchange 2013 & Exchange 2016 are different versions. In each version there more than 10 Cumulative Update Rollups. When I say, instead of Exchange 2016 I will install one version behind, I mean Exchange 2013. I hope I'm not wrong here to assume my version understanding is correct.

The Version numbers I gave in the query, I did not create it. It is in the product for reference. I quoted it because it will be helpful for anyone answering my query. They will know exactly which build/version I'm referring to.

Now since this is a bigger network & we have a new server, I thought let's install Windows Server 2012 R2 or higher & install latest version, configure it, test it on new machines & then migrate. This way existing setup will not be affected. 

I hope I've given more better picture of my query now. Thanks Jason.

Fahad

Thursday, January 18, 2018 4:31 AM
  • The Current Branch version 1606 Long-Term Servicing Branch (LTSB) can meet your requirement if you want a stable version.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/learn-more-editions

Products Released                  Lifecycle Start Date                          Mainstream Support End Date                Extended Support End Date                      
    Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (LTSB - version 1606) 10/12/2016 Review Note 1/12/2027

Microsoft plans to release updates for System Center Configuration Manager current branch a few times per year. For versions of Configuration Manager released prior to 1710, support is for 12 months. Beginning with the 1710 release, each update version remains in support for 18 months from its general availability (GA) release date.

Support for System Center Configuration Manager current branch versions

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/servers/manage/current-branch-versions-supported

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 18, 2018 9:34 AM
  • > "I already attempted in-place upgrade of SCCM 2012 RTM version server in different network zone & it went on to become a disaster."

2012 RTM hasn't been supported in about 4 years so not exactly sure when you did this or what you were doing. There are always potential issues and pitfalls though but your experience is by far, not the norm. Tens of thousands of organizations have successfully completed upgrades from supported versions of ConfigMgr 2012 to CB  (RTM is not supported for an upgrade to CB).

> "The Version numbers I gave in the query, I did not create it. It is in the product for reference. I quoted it because it will be helpful for anyone answering my query. They will know exactly which build/version I'm referring to."

No they won't and this is not Exchange. Using 1710, 1706, 1610, etc. is far more descriptive and obvious in the ConfigMgr world. Anything else means someone has to go look it up first whereas 1710 is completely obvious to anyone who knows ConfigMgr.

And, please read the post I linked to. It covers why performing a migration is not the best option and what your other options are. As I explicitly called out as well, a site backup and restore, which is covered in the blog post, works quite well.

Thursday, January 18, 2018 3:11 PM
  • Please don't use or recommend using ConfigMgr LTSB. You will quickly fall behind in capabilities, bug-fixes, Win 10 support, etc.

Thursday, January 18, 2018 3:12 PM