none
DPM 2007 Connecting a new Hard Disk RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a virtual machine that is connected to ISCSI target.

There is something faulty about the NAS so im going to change it with a new one.

I keep the data for 30 days.

My question is: Is it possible to add the new disk and start backup the data to that disk and disable the old disks?

LA.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 1:53 PM

Answers

• http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2009/06/22/how-to-use-the-migratedatasourcedatafromdpm-ps1-dpm-powershell-script-to-move-data.aspx

"Note: You must retain your old disks until all recovery points on them expire. After the recovery points expire, DPM automatically de-allocates the replicas and recovery point volumes on these disks."

• Proposed as answer by Fahd Kamal [MSFT] Friday, July 16, 2010 9:42 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Laith IT Friday, July 16, 2010 1:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by Laith IT Thursday, July 22, 2010 11:32 AM
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 11:09 AM

All replies

• http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2009/06/22/how-to-use-the-migratedatasourcedatafromdpm-ps1-dpm-powershell-script-to-move-data.aspx

"Note: You must retain your old disks until all recovery points on them expire. After the recovery points expire, DPM automatically de-allocates the replicas and recovery point volumes on these disks."

• Proposed as answer by Fahd Kamal [MSFT] Friday, July 16, 2010 9:42 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Laith IT Friday, July 16, 2010 1:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by Laith IT Thursday, July 22, 2010 11:32 AM
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 11:09 AM
  • Im installing the new NAS and i will try that on monday and i will get back to you.

LA

Friday, July 16, 2010 1:36 PM
  • Hi,

This company does have 3 different ISCSI target 5000GB, 2500GB, 2600GB.

Im planning to make one ISCSI target about 15TB in the new NAS.

Is that possible or do i have to create three ISCSI target with the same size so that DPM will able to sync?

Thanks,

LA

Monday, July 19, 2010 7:31 AM
  • There is no need to have a matching number or size of LUNS. You just run a migration of each old iSCSI LUN in turn to the new LUN. They will just fill up the remaining empty space.

However i don't know if there is any issue (techincal or performance) with having a single LUN that size. I'm pretty sure there is not, but best to get confirmation from one of the gurus.

Monday, July 19, 2010 11:05 AM
  • Hi Alex,

I have another machine that is running on 16 TB disk (which is suppose to be the maximum that windows GPT drive can take and also the maximum that you can extend a drive in ReadyNas). And its running without any problems.

Monday, July 19, 2010 11:29 AM
  • Hi Alex,

I migrated the data to the new disk and i will monitor the old disks... they should be empty by time.

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 11:33 AM