none
Is it possible to update a Win7 Pro laptop to 8.1 with my PC's Recovery DVDs? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello: I'm coming in here from left field as I'm not a PC techie, just a basic surfer, but I have a question I have not been able to find an answer for. 

Setup: I have a DELL desktop PC running Win 8.1 purchased directly from DELL and I have the Recovery DVD, also for the Drivers and Utilities. My brother-in-law, a doctor, is giving me a Lenovo 14" laptop, running Win 7 Pro, that I bought for him last year because Win 7 is the program that the hospital he's associated with prefers. He told me that he has used the laptop only once and has offered it to me. I want to use the laptop as backup to my PC so I don't always have to roll it out on a cart. Because my needs are minimal I can live with Win 7 but I'd prefer Win 8.1. I can sell the laptop on ebay and buy one with Win 8.1 but not if I can upgrade the laptop from Win 7 to Win 8.1.

Question to the Forum:

Using my PCs Recovery DVDs, can I upgrade the laptop to Win 8.1 without any problems. The laptop is a IBM Lenovo T420 Thinkpad, Win 7 Pro, Intel Core i5, 4 GB, 320 GB, and I think that it can handle the upgrade but I'm not 100% sure. What say you?

Saturday, November 19, 2016 6:01 AM

Answers

• Thank you so much for your convincing reply, Darren, it got through to me. At the moment, it doesn't matter as the doctor told me I may not get the laptop until possibly January 2017 as his hospital just requested work from him and he needs the laptop to do so. Even if he gives it to me I'll just sell it and buy an 8.1 laptop and save myself an error in judgement.

• Marked as answer by tvrodman Sunday, November 20, 2016 11:15 PM
    Sunday, November 20, 2016 11:15 PM

All replies

• You cant use a Dell recovery disk to upgrade a Lenovo.  Basically recovery disks only contain a subset of the OS that can only be used to recover a non booting system

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Saturday, November 19, 2016 1:47 PM
  • I appreciate your quick, informative reply. But allow me to play the devil's advocate and point out that the DVD says that it contains the "Operating System Already installed on your computer" and "Use this disc only to reinstall the operating system ... " which leads me to think that using the DVD would replace the Win 7 with Win 8.1. Does your reply override the above?

I am ignorant here but I appreciate your expertise and I hope you reply.

Saturday, November 19, 2016 9:31 PM
  • Hi there,

If the recovery disc you have, was issued and shipped with the Lenovo, and has windows 8.1 on it, then it will work great.

If you are planning to use the Dell's recovery DVD's on the Lenovo, then it wont work.

the discs supplied with devices, are not retail versions of Windows, they are customised with device specific drivers, Bundled software, etc..

so if you had to use the Dells DVD on the Lenovo, the Operating system may (probably may not since some of the installs actually check the devices BIOS to confirm manufacturer) install, however, the drivers installed would not match the Lenovos built in devices.

Hope this helps.

cheers.

Kind Regards, Darren Coetzee * Don't forget to mark as Answered if you found this post helpful. *

• Marked as answer by tvrodman Sunday, November 20, 2016 11:09 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by tvrodman Sunday, November 20, 2016 11:09 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Darren Coetzee Monday, November 21, 2016 2:30 AM
    Sunday, November 20, 2016 4:07 PM
  • Thank you so much for your convincing reply, Darren, it got through to me. At the moment, it doesn't matter as the doctor told me I may not get the laptop until possibly January 2017 as his hospital just requested work from him and he needs the laptop to do so. Even if he gives it to me I'll just sell it and buy an 8.1 laptop and save myself an error in judgement.

• Marked as answer by tvrodman Sunday, November 20, 2016 11:15 PM
    Sunday, November 20, 2016 11:15 PM
  • its a pleasure.

cheers.

Kind Regards, Darren Coetzee * Don't forget to mark as Answered if you found this post helpful. *

Monday, November 21, 2016 3:09 AM
  • Glad to hear this issue has been solved by yourself. Thanks for sharing, I will introduce this experience to other forum users who face the same condition:)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 21, 2016 9:14 AM