Mouse constantly stops responding RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, my husband and I both have HP laptops running Windows 7 64 bit (different models). Recently we both started having a problem where the mouse constantly goes unresponsive for a second or two. This is really aggravating. Once in a while we have both had a Windows message pop up that says the USB port has stopped working, as well. He has a MS optical mouse, I have a Logitech USB mouse.

I've run all the Windows updates and tried updating drivers but they all say that I have the latest driver already. Any other suggestions?

Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for updating.

Considering current situation, I suggest you focus on the programs running in background.  Please boot into Clean Boot mode to see if this issue persists.

Regards,

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:14 AM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest you check the Event Viewer to see if there is any error information.

As a test, I suggest you reinstall the USB controller driver to see what the result is.

To remove and reinstall all USB controllers, follow these steps:

1.    Open Device Manager.

2.    Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.

3.    Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time.

4.    Restart the computer, and then reinstall the USB controllers.

5.    Plug in the removable USB storage device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.

Regards,

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, October 10, 2011 7:00 AM
  • Thank you, Alex, for trying to help. I cannot find any error messages in the event viewer that have anything to do with USB or the mouse. I tried uninstalling the usb drivers and restarting as you suggested, but it has not made any difference.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:18 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for updating.

Considering current situation, I suggest you focus on the programs running in background.  Please boot into Clean Boot mode to see if this issue persists.

Regards,

Alex Zhao

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:14 AM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:43 AM