Paste Special - What is MERGE formatting RRS feed

• Question

• Merge formatting sounds exactly like "keep text only"  In other words, the text being pasted will take on the attributes of the paragraph of the destination.

Can someone tell me exactly what "Merge formatting"   means and does?   (See arrow diagram for what the icon looks like.)

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 11:55 PM

Answers

• "Merge formatting" means that only formatting data will be pasted and not the actual text.  For example, let's say you have text that says, "Word1" and another that says "Word2."  "Word1" is in Arial font with no bold or underline.  "Word2" is in Times New Roman bold and underlines.  Now, do a copy operation on "Word2."  Merge formatting the copied "Word2" to "Word1" will impart the bold and underline attributes only resulting in "Word1" being in Arial font with bold and underline.
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Tuesday, August 7, 2012 2:08 AM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 2:54 AM

All replies

• "Merge formatting" means that only formatting data will be pasted and not the actual text.  For example, let's say you have text that says, "Word1" and another that says "Word2."  "Word1" is in Arial font with no bold or underline.  "Word2" is in Times New Roman bold and underlines.  Now, do a copy operation on "Word2."  Merge formatting the copied "Word2" to "Word1" will impart the bold and underline attributes only resulting in "Word1" being in Arial font with bold and underline.
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Tuesday, August 7, 2012 2:08 AM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 2:54 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Max Meng

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:19 AM
  • Hmm when I try this, I type the word 'Arial' (which is in Arial font, no special formatting). I type the Words 'Times New Roman' (and make it bold, Times New Roman font with underlining). I select 'Times New Roman' and copy to clipboard. I then select 'Arial' and paste using merge formatting. The result is 'Times New Roman' text in Arial but with bold and underline. The word Arial is now gone. Is this correct?
    Tuesday, July 8, 2014 8:57 PM
  • Your example does not work.  
    Saturday, October 31, 2015 4:17 PM

This is NOT the answer. This is copy and paste formatting, but not the merge formatting button which is a paste option.

Here is Microsoft's definition.

Keep Text Only option buttonKeep Text Only    This option removes all the original formatting from the text.

Merge Formatting option buttonMerge Formatting    This option changes the formatting so that it matches the text that surrounds it.

The following is pasted text:

All work in Word should be on documents on a hard drive.

The underscoring stays in the pasted text with Merge Formatting, but does not when Text Only is used. This is true whether the underscoring in the original was through a character style (i.e. Emphasis) or through direct formatting.

A third option that can pop up is:

Use Destination Styles option buttonUse Destination Styles   This option formats the text to match the style that’s applied where the text is pasted.

That style may or may not match the surrounding text.

See this Microsoft blog. https://blogs.office.com/2012/02/10/tip-how-to-cut-and-paste-without-messing-up-formatting/

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

• Proposed as answer by macropodMVP Sunday, November 1, 2015 4:57 AM
    • Edited by Charles Kenyon Sunday, November 1, 2015 2:16 PM Add hyperlink
    Saturday, October 31, 2015 8:17 PM