none
12 Hr Rotating Shifts RRS feed

• Question

• I am teaching a class in Project 2010 to employees that have resources working on a 12 hr rotating shifts schedule. A single employee will work 12 hours on, then 12 hours off from 7:00 pm to 7:00 am for 4 or 5 days. Then they have 4 or 5 days off. They do this for a month, then switch to 7:00 am to 7:00 pm for a month. It is a mining company, and they run 24 hours a day non-stop. I am assuming that they should just use the 24 hour calendar option and set resources at 12 hours each. They would have "x" amounts of truck drivers, drillers, muckers, etc. all on the same schedule. Is this the most simple solution, or should they set up shift calendars? This could make things very complicated and difficult to manage. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 3:35 PM

All replies

• GBC Trainer,

The days on/days off scheduling is not all that uncommon but unfortunately if you want Project do help plan the schedule you can't simply use a 24 hour calendar and expect it to all work out.

I assume you have at least two sets crews with offset schedules such that when one crew is working the other is off. This is done by creating two custom resource calendars each with a sequence of 4 days on and 4 days off that is offset between the two calendars and changes once a month. The appropriate calendar is then set as the Base Calendar for each resource in each crew and the built-in 24 hour calendar is set as the Project calendar, which by default is also the calendar for all tasks.

You can either manually create the custom resource calendars, a rather tedious process if it goes for several months, or use VBA to set up the two offset resource calendars. Since this scenario has been asked previously on the forum I developed a couple different macros that create a custom resource on/off calendar. Either could be modified to handle your specific sequence.

John

Thursday, May 3, 2018 5:35 PM
  • Best not to assume anything. Better to test and confirm.

Try this.

Set up a task with, say 5 days duration, and with the 24 hour calendar assigned. The task can happen anytime.

Set up a day shift guy as a resource, and assign a calendar which has only the day shift working hours.

Set up a night shift guy as a resource, and assign a calendar which has only the night shift working hours.

Assign both resources to the task. Switch to the task usage view and you will see that each resource is assigned only during his available hours.

Thursday, May 3, 2018 10:06 PM