Duplicating packages on the same management server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm new to app-v so please bear with me. I have successfully sequenced one or two packages. These packages need to be used by more than one of our customers. I used the duplicate option on the management console on the APP-V management server. I assigned the appropriate groups to each of the duplicate packages I'm a member of each of the groups. However when I do a refresh in the app-v client I don't get all the packaged apps showing in the app-v client that I'm a member of.

I think I need to create a separate package for each of my customers.... Is this correct?

Thanks

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 10:18 AM

Answers

• This really begs the question: if you operate inside the same authentication domain, why would you want to have duplicate copies of the same published application for different customer and not use one entry in the Management Server and common access group for it?

I mean, if you customize NAV client with OSD scripting per user or something like that, then I understand the need but with using the exact same OSD and SFT I cannot see the logic?

/Kalle

Monday, November 22, 2010 7:49 AM

All replies

• What type of differences does there need to be between the packages? If it's options such as connecting an application to a different database, you can do those things at runtime. You can do this with pre-launch scripts or Group Policy Preferences (depending on where the setting you want to modify is saved).
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 11:45 AM
  • Hello Aaron, 

Thanks for the reply. I have MS Classic NAV 2009 client that I want to enable two or more customers to access. However when I use the duplicate option in the management console it looks like it's done it however when I logon and refresh my APP-v Client I don't see the new icons even though I'm a member of the all the groups I've applied to each duplicated package. 

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 2:28 PM
  • Hello,

The package would have the same guid, name and version (as I see it) and would therefore not create an extra entry for the application.

/Znack

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 3:56 PM
  • Have you looked at the App-V client log?

It would be creat to understand what you are specifically changing in the package. Perhaps there's a better way to achieve the same goal.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 5:00 PM
  • Hi Aaron,

I'm not actually changing anything in the package I'm trying to use the same package but assign it to different customers by using the duplicate feature in the management console.

Thanks

Dave

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:01 AM
  • Hello,

What duplicate feature?

/Znack
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:13 PM
  • It sounds like you are probably duplicating the entry in the Management Console but pointing it to the same OSD as the source. Is that correct? You will need a seperate OSD file.
    Saturday, November 20, 2010 12:14 AM
  • This really begs the question: if you operate inside the same authentication domain, why would you want to have duplicate copies of the same published application for different customer and not use one entry in the Management Server and common access group for it?

I mean, if you customize NAV client with OSD scripting per user or something like that, then I understand the need but with using the exact same OSD and SFT I cannot see the logic?

/Kalle

Monday, November 22, 2010 7:49 AM