page fault in non-paged area (Reported in ntkrnlpa.exe) RRS feed

• Question

• Have recently been geting the BSOD above (page fault in non-paged area) on a machine running the following spec.

Gigabyte EP35-DS3  (Firmware v F4)
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    1Tb HD
    MS Vista Ent.

Recently been getting BSOD at random times (initially problem occured, after the machine had been idle for around an hour, subsequent crashes have been after 3-4 hours, and the most recent one was after  about 24hours.

After the last crash, the machine restarted and the desktop fired up without issue.  However, when I went to START>SHUTDOWN, the BSOD appeared again.  This time, after powering off the machine, it was not possible to start up again with the BSOD appearing.  

I then removed one of the 2Gb RAM modules, and the PC fired up right away.

So far the following has been done (and the problem still persists)

- Tried both modules individually in each of the four RAM slots on the MB (on each occasion, the machine fires up no probs)
    - Run MEMTEST (and Windows Memory Diagnostic tool) against both modules  (no problems found)
    - Run a HD diagnostic using the manufacturers diagnostic tool (in this case, it was Seatools from Seagate), no problems found.

I have seen elsewhere on the MS website, a possible HOTFIX that may address this.  However, before I go down that route, does anyone have any ideas as to what the cause could be...or is the best bet taking the machine (a self build, as opposed to 'off the shelf') to a dedicated hw tech.

The .dmp file suggests that the problem is originating from the NTKRNLPA.EXE

NOTE :  I am awating a couple of replacement RAM modules to turn up, on the off chance that , that might address the issue.

Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:41 AM

Answers

• Hello,

According to the problem description, you met the BSOD or stop error issue at random times. Since Windows system uses separated user mode and kernel mode memory space, stop errors are always caused by kernel portion components, such as a hardware device, third-party drivers, backup software or anti-virus services (buggy services).

The system goes to a blue screen because there is some exceptions happened in the kernel (either the device driver errors or the service errors), and Windows implements this mechanism: When it detects some errors occur in the kernel, it will kill the box in case some more severe damage happens. Then we get a blue screen or the system reboots (it depends on what the system settings are).

First of all, remove all unnecessary hardware devices from the computer, try entering Windows safe mode to test whether it is a third-party software/hardware compatibility issue. If the problem still persists, to troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

I hope the problem will be resolved soon. Thanks!

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, June 22, 2009 11:33 AM
    Friday, June 19, 2009 7:23 AM