Windows Media Player won't play BBC Worldservice RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Media Player runs just fine, but since about a week ago no longer will connect to BBC Worldservice radio. I've tried fixit center and uninstall and reinstall WMP. The popup says that the file is missing. HELP.
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:46 PM

Answers

• Re Windows Media Player & BBC WS "listen" buttons.

I have contacted the BBC on numerous occasions. This touble began in Feb 2012 as other posts indicated. Back in Feb, the BBC responded to me as follows:

There was a router failure at one of the third parties that provides streaming services to the BBC over the weekend. This affected the output over the weekend.

They the claim to have corrected the problem, but situation has remained the same, and now they are saying that it's an MS problem and MS must do a fix.

I don't believe this because, I also removed WMP 11 completely, downloaded and installed the latest from the MS download page, and I still get the same result. By the way, I run wXP SP 3 along with IE8.

I have checked for all malicious software and have checked for registry problems..NADA.

Isn't it true, that routers have been flash programmed with a  unique address? If so it's my theory that the repaired/replaced BBC WS router has a different address, which WMP 11 can't detect or grab.

My conact at BBC is Jamie Dale,    Jamie.Dale@bbc.co.uk

• Proposed as answer by gxr123 Monday, April 2, 2012 4:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by arnavsharmaModerator Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:12 AM
    Monday, April 2, 2012 4:27 PM

All replies

• You need to check you internet connection.

I am listening to BBC World Service Radio on WMP as I type this.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Thursday, February 16, 2012 4:39 PM
  • Dear Rick,

I am "Jim101638".

I have the same problem as "KevinICdesigner", and for me it began around February 10-11.

I am sure that my Internet connection is OK, as everything else involving an Internet connection works well.

Normally I listen to a set of eleven “Favorite” radio stations on Windows Media Player. I am still able to listen to all of them, except for the two BBC World Service streams.

The two problem streams from the BBC World Service are: 

The nine radio stations to which I can still listen satisfactorily are: 

I am using the following software:

• Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1 (all updates installed)
    • Internet Explorer 9, Version 9.0.8112.16421
    • Windows Media Player, Version 12.0 7601.17514 (all updates installed)

I cannot imagine what could be wrong; and I would be most grateful if you could advise me on any actions I could take in order to restore the two World Service streams.

Thank you.

Regards,

Jim

Sunday, February 19, 2012 2:04 PM
  • Jim161038,

I receive the error on your first two links tha the file cannot be found.  That would measn you need to contact BBC about those links.  WMP cannot play a file that does not exist.

All the rest of the links play fine, so as far as I can tell there is no problem with WMP or Windows 7.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, February 19, 2012 2:48 PM
  • Dear Rick,

Thank you for your reply.

It seems that BBC World Service might have changed its URLs.  I have been listyening to the URLs which I sent you for years and years.

When you replied to kevinICdesigner on February 16, you told him "I am listening to BBC World Service Radio on WMP as I type this."

I have not had any success in getting a useful reply from the BBC.  Could you let me know the URL of the stream to which you were listening when you replied to kevinICdesigner?

Thank you very much.

Regards.

Jim161038

• Edited by Jim161038 Sunday, February 19, 2012 4:46 PM Deleted duplicate sign-off.
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 4:42 PM
  • I don't remember which ones I checked.  I just tried a few links to see if they were working.

Sunday, February 19, 2012 6:40 PM
  • Re Windows Media Player & BBC WS "listen" buttons.

I have contacted the BBC on numerous occasions. This touble began in Feb 2012 as other posts indicated. Back in Feb, the BBC responded to me as follows:

There was a router failure at one of the third parties that provides streaming services to the BBC over the weekend. This affected the output over the weekend.

They the claim to have corrected the problem, but situation has remained the same, and now they are saying that it's an MS problem and MS must do a fix.

I don't believe this because, I also removed WMP 11 completely, downloaded and installed the latest from the MS download page, and I still get the same result. By the way, I run wXP SP 3 along with IE8.

I have checked for all malicious software and have checked for registry problems..NADA.

Isn't it true, that routers have been flash programmed with a  unique address? If so it's my theory that the repaired/replaced BBC WS router has a different address, which WMP 11 can't detect or grab.

My conact at BBC is Jamie Dale,    Jamie.Dale@bbc.co.uk

• Proposed as answer by gxr123 Monday, April 2, 2012 4:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by arnavsharmaModerator Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:12 AM
    Monday, April 2, 2012 4:27 PM
  • Sorry, but I don't have any internet connection problems!
    • Proposed as answer by gxr123 Monday, April 2, 2012 4:29 PM
    Monday, April 2, 2012 4:29 PM