App-V Naming Conventions RRS feed

• Question

• I just want to check what is correct for naming of App-V project i.e. whether to allow spaces or underscores and (assuming App-V 4.6 SP1 using a Q drive) it has to be in 8.3 DOS directory structure

For example If I create Adobe Reader X 11.0.03 is it ok to have the installation directory as is i.e. Q:\Adobe Reader X 11.0.03 or has to be closed up with underscores or the directory name shortened.

I was reading a Microsoft white paper for repackaging Office 2010 and when adding shortcuts you need the installation directory name which if I've left "long-hand" which for me might be Q:\Office 2010 doesn't tally with a dir/x i.e. it looks like you can't simply put in "Q:\Office 2010" to the shortcut

I assume that the name doesn't matter for the actual project itself whether it has spaces

Thanks

Ian Burnell, London (UK)

Friday, May 31, 2013 9:33 AM

All replies

• Check out this best practice.

Your names (package name on q-drive) should always be unique, and as for 4.6 and above you are not restricted to use the 8.3 directory structure. I recommend to keep using that. Sometimes there are components which require short path names.

Shortcuts must always point to your executables, you want to start. The sequencer will translate them to the correct path (maybe I do not understand your question :))

Friday, May 31, 2013 9:49 AM
  • Mainly the question is about whether you can have project and directory names with spaces. So in the above example can the installation directory be "Q:\Adobe Reader X 11.0.03" or does it have to be something like "Q\Adobe_reader_x_1103"

Ian Burnell, London (UK)

Monday, June 3, 2013 7:39 AM
  • Hello,

If your application can handle spaces, there isn't a problem. From an App-V perspective, its doesn't matter as it creates a randomized shortname.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

• Edited by znack Tuesday, June 4, 2013 8:33 AM spellcheck
    Monday, June 3, 2013 8:13 AM