none
Win 7 - Windows Task Manager and the Processses tab - explain options "End Process" and "End Process Tree"

Question

• What changes when I press the "End Process" button besides the obvious stopping of the process, or likewise if I press "End Process Tree".

The next obvious question is, what is the relationship between a process and a process tree?

(I tried to take a screenshot of the context menu which contains the choices "End Process Tree" and "End Process Tree", but the menu disappears the moment I try to click on anything else.)

Background:

I drive a laptop with only a single-core processor and Win 7.  It's so overburdened that, even if I wanted to upgrade to Win 10 or better, I don't have the horsepower to do that, either.

I spend hours trying to get things done, when the CPU Usage reading is at a consistent 100% for several minutes at a time.  There are moments of desperation when I end one of the CPU hogs -- a browser... anti-browser/security package...  most frequently one/more of the svchost.exe pieces...  by "End Process".  Otherwise I never get the point of meaningful action.  And in these circumstances, it takes even longer if I save file, shut down apps, restart, and bring up everything!

Thus this question!

Thanks. 
          Win 7 Home Premium SP1 Build 7601, licensed to me; last successful update:  4/28/2016, KB 3141092

No images attached...

Sunday, January 29, 2017 11:21 PM

All replies

• Process Explorer will help with with required details for process/process tree : 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, January 30, 2017 12:38 AM
  • Carl Fan and Arnav Sharma:

I'm sorry -- I must be dense.  Knowing about the existence of Process Explorer is great, but I was looking for an answer to the question, What changes when I press the "End Process" button, or the "End Process Tree" button.  Any suggestions?

JohnS3003

John S

Monday, June 5, 2017 10:48 PM