none
A basic question about MIM 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• can someone please help with the following question.

I am starting to learn MIM 2016 (never touched FIM before) so I newbie (I understand AD)

From the little information I have read so far (btw can anyone recommend a good book on MIM 2016) I appears there are at lest two databases with MIM

MIM Service Database
    MIM Sync Service Database

so from what I can tell the MIM Sync is the heart of the system and deals with the 'connector space' and 'metaverse' for syncing data to/from identity stores (perhaps after some transformations)

then we have the MIM Service database which interfaces with the MIM portal (SharePoint) I believe the MIM Service has interfaces for Outlook, WEB Browser, etc. and has some logic gates and actions 

I hope my basic understanding above is correct so far, please put me straight if I am going wrong.

I believe users (for example users residing in an Active Directory domain) would be synced into the MIM Service Database 'separately' to the MIM Sync Service database (via an Agent). In other words user Harry would exist in both databases separately?

The when using the MIM portal (SharePoint) to work with user Harry you would be working with his instance in the MIM Service database, is that correct?

if so (e.g. two instances of the same user object but in separate databases) could this not cause problems e.g. what if you made an update to Harry in AD which got synced via the agent to the MIM Sync Database but not to the MIM Service database things would be out of kilter (bad) 

Basically, I cannot see the reason to have two separate databases containing the same information (identity information). Why not just plus the MIM Portal (SharePoint) into the MIM Sync database and therefore get all your information on a MIM user from one common database.

Please advise

Thank you very much

CAshtones

Saturday, March 17, 2018 2:27 PM

All replies

• Well, the short answer is you cannot re-architect the product while installing it :)  Logically, FIM Service and Portal can be thought of (and is designed) as just a one more connected systems to the sync engine, albeit, little bit more tightly coupled that the other typical connected systems. These two systems have vastly different schema, performance and size requirements for their databases.
    Tuesday, March 20, 2018 7:20 AM
  • Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question Nilesh, I really appreciate it.

I am 'starting' to get my head around it (slowly at the moment, will have to setup a lab and practice) 

So the way I see it  at the moment, you connect say AD to MIM Sync with an Agent, that brings your AD Users/Groups into MIM Sync Database (connector space/metaverse) 

then you connect MIM Service to MIM Sync with a different Agent.

or perhaps you do the above two in reverse order

Which then means objects (users/group) coming 'into' MIM Sync from AD, can then be synced 'out' from MIM Sync to MIM Service in order for the user/group object to appear in the MIM Console (SharePoint console) so you can take some actions on these Users/Groups that appears in the MIM Console (SharePoint) which then relates back to the actual user in AD via a 'connector' (i.e. MIM connector space/metaverse).

is the above, the correct way to look at it? or am I getting something fundamentally wrong?

Thanks

CAshtones

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 6:09 AM
  • You are essentially correct. It's best that you setup a lab and try to follow Common Configuration for Getting Started Guides which hold good for FIM and MIM. I'll also move this post to the FIM/MIM forum as MIMWAL Project forum is mainly for question on MIMWAL GitHub project.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2018 9:34 AM
  • Another couple of good places to start especially to get your head wrapped around architecture is the old reliable FIM Technical Overview whitepaper I coauthored with Brad Turner. You should also look at Understanding Data Synchronization paper. Both of these have a couple of outdated items (missing description of features released after they were written.

As for books:

I put out a book on FIM Architecture and Installation. David Steadman and Jeff Ingalls have written a book on MIM 2016 that does a pretty good job covering the various features.

David Lundell, Get your copy of FIM Best Practices Volume 1 http://blog.ilmbestpractices.com/2010/08/book-is-here-fim-best-practices-volume.html

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 1:54 PM
  • Thanks very much Nilesh and David I appreciate you taking the time to help me with my question to start learning more about MIM

CAshtones

Thursday, March 22, 2018 5:12 PM