The User Profile Service service failed the logon. the user profile cannot be loaded (common solution didn't work) RRS feed

• Question

• First, a little history on this laptop.

HP Pavilion dv6000 (stock specs) with Vista Home Premium SP2 installed.  When I picked this laptop up from my client, she told me all she did was shut the laptop down and it wouldn't let her turn it back on.  Later I found out that she hadn't shut it down properly.  Instead, the power cord was pulled and the battery was removed in the midst of a Windows Update.  Upon restoring power, a chkdsk had run deleting over 30,000 index entries and replacing the default security permissions for every single file on her hard drive.  From that point on, she had the KSOD (black screen with white pointer, but no welcome screen).

When I got it, the first thing I did was repair the security permissions by ejecting the hard drive and plugging it into my own PC.  This allowed me to get beyond the KSOD, but it left me with a new problem, the User Profile Service logon error.  I researched the issue and found all the common solutions. 

In this case, there was no .bak of her profile in the registry, and there were no system restore points to restore the laptop to (probably because of the chkdsk).

However, when I boot into safe mode I am able to access the profile and all the programs and files within.  I tried making a new admin profile through safe mode, but when I rebooted into Normal Mode the new profile was having the same error.

After following the steps on http://www.brooks-bilson.com/blogs/rob/index.cfm/2009/1/5/Fix-for-Vistas-The-User-Profile-Service-service-failed-the-logon-User-profile-cannot-be-loaded, I was then able to log into the new profile, but the Start Menu was empty.  None of the programs or files were accessible from the new profile, so that didn't help too much.

One thing that I read on the site I listed was to disable the User Account Control and follow some additional steps.  Nearly fet up with this thing and ready to wipe/reinstall, I thought I'd try this just for giggles.  I logged into the new profile, simply disabled the User Account Control, restarted, and holy ____ the main profile loaded with it's full permissions and all its programs and files!

I finished my work on the thing and was ready to return it, so the last step I did was to re-enable the UAC.  As soon as I did, the error came back and I was unable to log into the profile again.  Whenever UAC is off, however, I can log in no problem!

What should I do?  Is there a way to repair the UAC feature, or do I just need to permanently disable it?

I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but everywhere I try to find solutions to this issue I always see the same responses.  "Remove the .bak or do a System Restore"  Neither solution worked in this case so maybe others out there have the same issue but also can't find the right solution.  Any thoughts?

-Mike

Monday, July 5, 2010 3:29 PM

Answers

• Ah well, was hoping someone would have a suggestion.

Format and reinstall did the trick, per usual.

I guess it's just another Vista fail.  I'm going to recommend a Windows 7 upgrade ;)

-Mike

• Marked as answer by Sickethunder Wednesday, July 7, 2010 2:45 AM
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 2:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

Please read:

Error message when you log on to a Windows Vista-based computer by using a temporary profile: "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded"

Meanwhile, regarding the black screen issue, I recommend you to execute chkdsk /r command in WinRE mode booting from a Windows Vista installation disc.

1)    Please insert the Windows Vista DVD and reboot the computer.

2)    When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.

3)    Click "Next" and click "Repair your computer".

4)    Please highlight "Windows Vista" and click "Next".

5)    Select “Command Prompt”.

6)    Type: chkdsk /r.

If the issue persists, let’s disable UAC, log in with a administrator account, and reset the default security settings:

1)    Click Start, type: CMD and then right click on the CMD in the list and then select Run as Administrator.

2)    In the command prompt, please run the following command and then press Enter to reset the security setting.

secedit /configure /db defltbase.sdb /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /verbose

3)    Restart the machine.

Best Regards

Dale Qiao
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 2:32 AM
  • This is not the issue.  The profile in question is not a temporary profile but the main Administrator account.

Also, I had already repaired the permissions to get beyond the KSOD.

As I said, "When I got it, the first thing I did was repair the security permissions by ejecting the hard drive and plugging it into my own PC.  This allowed me to get beyond the KSOD, but it left me with a new problem, the User Profile Service logon error.  I researched the issue and found all the common solutions."

edit.. Sorry, I did forget to mention that after repairing permissions externally I ran the secedit when I placed it back in its original laptop.  Didn't want "Everyone" to always have full control :)  So yes I've been through all that.

-Mike

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 1:09 PM
  • Ah well, was hoping someone would have a suggestion.

Format and reinstall did the trick, per usual.

I guess it's just another Vista fail.  I'm going to recommend a Windows 7 upgrade ;)

-Mike

• Marked as answer by Sickethunder Wednesday, July 7, 2010 2:45 AM
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 2:44 AM