Migrate ADFS 2.1 standalone server to ADFS 4.0 Farm RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I need to migrate an ADFS 2.1 standalone server to an ADFS 4.0 Farm. If it is possible... The ADFS 2.1 server is federated with Office 365, salesforce, webex and citrix fileshare. 

My plan is to use the scripts to export and import the configuration into the new farm. The adfs 2.1 service is using the Network Service account. I have read many tutorials and all say that you MUST use the same account. So the question is should I use network service or a domain account? I would prefer using a domain account but I don't know if it would cause any issue. Thanks. 

Thursday, March 1, 2018 12:03 PM

Answers

• Correct, there is no upgrade path between standalone and farm mode.

New install with the same name will be required. Of course they will have different certificates. Hence you will have to tell the applications to update their trust configuration with he new farm (in the same fashion they would have to be updated if you have updated your token signing certificate). So there will be a service interruption for the users.

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Marked as answer by Antuanfff Tuesday, March 6, 2018 11:08 AM
    Monday, March 5, 2018 9:18 PM