Force download only for MS Office documents RRS feed

• Question

• I have an anonymous publishing site that has begun offering a small number of MS Word documents for download.  The problem is that anonymous users are prompted for authentication by MS Word.  Once they cancel the prompt, the file is downloads.

If we had access to their IE settings, this could be avoided, but of course for anonumous site,  we don't.

What I want to do is to offer only a download dialog box, identical in function to the box seen from a document library when the Send To > Download a Copy series of commands is used.  The only open offered is to download the document.

I've done a fair amount of research on this topic and many articles say a download dialog can be forced by modifying the mime type in the HttpRequest; however, in my experience with these numerous samples, the Open button is still available, which always prompts anonymous users.

I"m assuming the Send To > Download a Copy is provided by javascript.  Does anyone know the function used?  If not, has anyone found a solution to this issue?

Thanks,

Nate

Nate
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 5:41 PM

Answers

All replies