GPP with Vista SP2 and Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I have run into a problem with GPP on Vista w/ SP2. I haven't figured out why this doesn't work but I have a GPP that deploys a printer and sets it as default. On Vista and Server 2008 it seems to hang up and never logs in just says Welcome. I have this as a user policy and disabled the GPP policy and logon happens instantly but of course it doesn't get applied since it isn't targeted anymore. Has anyone reported this? GPP works fine with Windows XP machines with CSE installed. I haven't noticed any problems with Windows 7 yet either. Deploying printers through print management works without problems but I wanted to have a policy that would set the printer as the default on everyone's machine.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 6:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Philjfry,

According to your description, I understand that you are experiencing an issue with printer GPP hanging on Vista SP2 machine.

There is a known issue with GPP hanging when you try to configure the printer item for printers that use third party drivers. To resolve this issue, please apply the two hotfixes described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

Group Policy Preferences stops responding when you try to configure the printer item for printers that use third-party drivers on a Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008-based computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973772/

Best Regards,

Wilson Jia

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Wilson Jia Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Monday, December 7, 2009 2:32 AM
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 4:03 AM