Background Intelligent Transfer & Windows Update services are missing! RRS feed

• Question

• Is there something seriously wrong with my system that program wuauclt.exe (in C:\WINDOWS\system32) is asking me to update my machine with "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - October 2012 (KB890830)" even though I do NOT see the service "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" and the service "Windows Update" anywhere in the Administrative Tools Services list?

It bothers me that the two mentioned services are missing, though to be honest I don't know that they ever were.  However, we have been getting Windows updates for years.

The only reason I had to look at the Services list is the problems we've been having with the machine over the past week.  Yesterday Norton removed a comijehocafy.exe, which it identified as a virus.  The system seems fine now, however, I'm not comfortable with Windows Update.

I ran the online and downloadable Microsoft Fit It tools in an attempt to get Windows Update back into the Service list, however, the tools always failed, either with error 0x80070424 or with the message that Windows Update location had changed.  Perhaps my Services problems are due to some actions I took with Iolo System Mechanic as I tried anything and everything to correct the system problems that we were having.

Or, is it it normal on some machines, say an OEM machine such as mine to not have the above Services on the machine?

The program "C:\WINDOWS\sfc /scannow" prints no complaints to the screen.

I have a Dell Optiplex 320 OEM machine that is running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Tom

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:54 PM

All replies

• I see that for "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" is NOW in my Services list!  How the heck did that get there?  It certainly wasn't there yesterday.

I also see "Automatic Updates" in the list.  That wasn't there before as well!

Could these additions have been made by the updates I tried earlier finally having taken hold?  Or could wuauclt.exe which is currently presenting the window asking if I want to install "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - October 2012 (KB890830)" be responsible?

I have decided to not accept the update until I can trust the system.

Thanks,

Tom

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:32 AM