`Windows 7 Ultimate Russian 64 bit' requests a driver for `Sony Optiarc IDE DVD/RW AD-7203A' to install RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to install `Windows 7 Ultimate Russian 64 bit' on a desktop PC with an old Sony Optiarc IDE DVD/RW AD-7203A drive. The Windows distribution DVD was placed in the drive. However, the installer asked to specify a place for the software driver for the device. I see no drivers at the Sony.Optiarc site, where the product is unsupported as the obsolete one and only firmware update and documentation are available. I also could not find the driver at Microsoft.com.

Is there any solution for the problem but physically changing the DVD drive?
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 7:41 AM

Answers

• The root of the problem was as follows.

I tried to install from withing an old 32-bit OS and the installer could not be launched, because it's 64-bit.

So I made a bootable USB flash device and then... the installer told that I do not have enough disk space on the target drive. I guess it was the real problem why I could not install the OS initially. The problem was solved (I combined partitions on the target system drive) and everything went OK. I just wonder, why Windows installer complained about the DVD/RW drive that is normally supported without any external drivers.

Thank you all, who advised me.
    • Proposed as answer by zhen tan Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:31 PM
    Monday, September 12, 2011 4:38 AM

All replies

• You could buy a newer dvd but your best best would be to create a windows install on a usb flash drive. Minimum size of 4gb flash drive required. They are cheap if you dont have one. Then follow instructions here to create the bootalbe windows flash drive install http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/how_install_windows_7_usb_key?page=0,0

Once completed insert the windows 7 usb and boot from the usb.

Regards, ~P MCSE, MCITP, MCTS, MCP, CCNA
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 8:19 AM
  • Godruma,

I ran into the same issue a few times myself.  If you downloaded the ISO and then burned it to a DVD, it is possible that the ISO was corrupted from the download and that is the reason you are unable to install Windows 7.  Try downloading the ISO again.

Thanks,

If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

[Blog] Engineering Efficiency | [Twitter] @Rich_Prescott | [Powershell GUI] Client System Administration toolkit
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 8:25 AM
  • Dear Rich,

thanks a lot for your urgent and informative answer.

I have tested the ISO and even unpacked it into a hard disk directory. I checked the integrity of the ISO anc compared with the burned DVD. Everything is OK. Can you, please, describe your issue in more details as well as your solution.

Saturday, September 10, 2011 9:02 AM
  • Dear Gradnalf50,

thank you for your answer. I have the tool for making the USB flash drive distribution. However, the problem is not that the DVD drive cannot be accessed for booting from it. It is OK the the installation begins, but report that the drive needs some Windows 7 software driver. An this is the stop point, because I see no drivers for the device at all (even on the manufacturer's web site).

Saturday, September 10, 2011 9:06 AM
  • Even if you can unpack it, try downloading it again and installing.  I have tried everything that you have tried and still had the same issue.  When I downloaded the ISO for a second time, it worked.
    If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

[Blog] Engineering Efficiency | [Twitter] @Rich_Prescott | [Powershell GUI] Client System Administration toolkit
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 9:17 AM
  • If you install from a usb distribution, it should not be prompting you for some drivers for the dvd and if it does disconnect the dvd drive during the install.
    Regards, ~P MCSE, MCITP, MCTS, MCP, CCNA
    • Edited by Gandalf50 Saturday, September 10, 2011 9:22 AM
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 9:21 AM
  • I have downloaded the iSO again and compared it with the previous one--both files are equal...

I guess that the poblem may be caused by the LabelFlash technology used in the DVD/RW device.

Anyway here several ways to overcome this. One suggested by Gandalf50: to install from USB and detach the DVD drive. Anothe approach is to install from within the previous installation. I have tried this on another machine. If the current OS is Win-7 (say, some Home version), then the installer claims to use Windows Anytime Upgrade facility . I tried it over Home Premium to upgrade to Ultimate and it worked (though with some strange effects).

The system on the PC with the Sony Optiarc DVD drive is XP. I'll try to run installer from within XP.

Unfortunately such `investigations' take time. OK, maybe my experience will be useful for someone else.

Sunday, September 11, 2011 7:21 AM
  • OK. Thanks. I'll keep it in mind. Another way is to install from hard drive under the current OS. I am going to try this as well.
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 7:22 AM
  • The root of the problem was as follows.

I tried to install from withing an old 32-bit OS and the installer could not be launched, because it's 64-bit.

So I made a bootable USB flash device and then... the installer told that I do not have enough disk space on the target drive. I guess it was the real problem why I could not install the OS initially. The problem was solved (I combined partitions on the target system drive) and everything went OK. I just wonder, why Windows installer complained about the DVD/RW drive that is normally supported without any external drivers.

Thank you all, who advised me.
    • Proposed as answer by zhen tan Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:31 PM
    Monday, September 12, 2011 4:38 AM