none
Disk-to-disk-to-tape backup when using Live migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I'm wondering if DPM 2012 sp1 supports disk-to-disk-to-tape backup when protecting VMs in Hyper-V 3.0 CSV 2.0 cluster with live migration. In the documentation it says that backup to tape, disk-to-tape or disk-to-tape-to-tape are not allowed but I can't figure out whether that includes disk-to-disk-to-tape.

Thanks

/Erik

Thursday, October 10, 2013 8:40 AM

All replies

• DPM supports disk to disk to tape backups from the perspective of you are backing up from the disk where the VM's reside, to the disks in the DPM storage pool then to tapes connected to the DPM server.  Is this different than the scenario you are asking about?

-------------------- Regards, Michael V [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 8:06 PM
  • Hi,

I believe Disk-Disk-Tape is a supported Scenario.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:46 PM
  • Hi.

The scenario is Hyper-V backup when live migration is in use and then, as I understand it, there is some limitations regarding backup to tape but the documentation is unclear on whether there is also limitations when doing disk-to-disk-to-tape.

Friday, October 11, 2013 5:01 PM
  • Hi.

Is it supported for Hyper-V backup when live migration is in place?

Friday, October 11, 2013 5:02 PM
  • Hi

Yes - you can do disk-to-disk-to-tape with Live Migration enabled.

You need to use VMM to help DPM track where the VMs are within DPM's known Hyper-V servers. The TechNet article does explain it:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj656643.aspx

You need to ensure that the VMM console is installed on the DPM servers, it does not have to be installed where Remote Consoles are installed just where the management servers are.

The process of DPM backup is:

1. (Disk) Source disk (in this case it could be CSV, SMB Share, local disk) is replicated to:
    2. (Disk) DPM Replica volume (the storage used by DPM) used for short-term protection which is then used in conjunction with the Recovery Point Volume, this to then backed up to:
    3. (Tape) DPM tape drive (could be shared drive, local drive, iSCSI tape drive, VTL)
    Monday, October 14, 2013 10:43 AM