NTVDM corrupts a TT font face after finishing of win32 app started from it. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, All!

I’ve got a big problem with ntvdm on Widows 7 full edition. It configured as Russian. Then I start my 16bit console application, all correct (i.e. Cyrillic shown correctly). Then I call a win32 application, for example notepad.exe from Norton Commander, it starts and work, but when I close win32 application all Cyrillic shown in DOS session immediately going corrupt (i.e. switched to unreadable “?” etc.)   Such a thing occurs then I choice true type font like Lucida Console in font setup dialog box   of ntvdm. Matrix font works good, but window of ntvdm so small on high resolution.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 3:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269149

Code Page Specific Fonts Are Lost When a DOS Program Switches to Graphics Mode

The NTVDM is becoming a thing of the past and it may cause unexpected problem in Windows 7. I suggest using Windows XP mode for test:

Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

This link maybe helpful to you:

Does Win 7 support NTVDM?

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by asuhanov_ru Thursday, December 9, 2010 9:16 AM
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 7:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269149

Code Page Specific Fonts Are Lost When a DOS Program Switches to Graphics Mode

The NTVDM is becoming a thing of the past and it may cause unexpected problem in Windows 7. I suggest using Windows XP mode for test:

Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

This link maybe helpful to you:

Does Win 7 support NTVDM?

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by asuhanov_ru Thursday, December 9, 2010 9:16 AM
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 7:47 AM
  • Thanks, Leo!

It’s work better on VM in Windows XP mode, but it   is so hard solution for me. Customers I support, haven’t   so advanced system (Professional or better). But have to use Windows 7 ‘cause it ships with a new hardware.   Also, It’s need to demand on install VM on all customers computers, but they might   not   be so skilful to do so.   If where are so different ntvdm on XP and Windows 7, so one doesn’t corrupts console fonts and another   do?

Regards,

Anton Sukhanov.

Thursday, December 9, 2010 9:35 AM