New 8.1 install, IE 11 will not jive with Sharepoint Online/O365 ect..despite IE setup RRS feed

• Question

• our domain.sharepoint.com or Onedrive page, will continually cause the IE tab to crash and try to reopen over and over until it says "we were unable to return you to sharepoint.com". 

*.office.com; *.sharepoint.com; *office365.com; *.lync.com; *.microsoftonline.com; *.windowsazure.com are all added to the trusted sites list. 

sharepoint.com is added to the compatibility list. 

IE is set to the default browser. 

Tried loading the page on a new user account, still same problem. sites work fine in Mozilla and Chrome. 

All updates have been installed for windows 8.1, to-date. 

General settings are to check for newer versions of stored pages each time i visit the webpage. 

i get the same IE errors on multiple O365 accounts, on two different local machine user accounts. 

The sharepoint guys are saying its an IE issue, so thats why im here asking, what else i can try. i hope i havent left nothing out that ive tried.  

Thursday, September 25, 2014 1:27 PM

Answers

• The problem turned out to be the Smartscreen Filter setting. once i disabled that, the sites worked as expected.

For those that dont know how, go to internet options/advanced tab, find Enable SmartScreen Filter near the bottom, and uncheck it. 

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Friday, October 3, 2014 9:29 AM
    Friday, September 26, 2014 2:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This problem could be caused by IE adds-on, have you tried to disable IE adds-on for test? In addition, Reset IE could also be helpful to test if it is IE setting caused this problem.

Please have a try, if problem persists, please check Event Viewer if it identify this problem, if so, it would be better to post the error report here.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 26, 2014 8:55 AM
  • Hi,

This problem could be caused by IE adds-on, have you tried to disable IE adds-on for test? In addition, Reset IE could also be helpful to test if it is IE setting caused this problem.

Please have a try, if problem persists, please check Event Viewer if it identify this problem, if so, it would be better to post the error report here.

Roger Lu

sorry i forgot to mention that i did disable all add-ons, when setting up a clean boot. Also forgot to mention that i tried this with the 32bit IE as well, and it crashes in the same way, with the cycle of trying to recover the webpage (sharepoint not responding message), then finally quits with "we were unable to return you to sharepoint.com.". 

Resetting IE, I was able to see the initial sharepoint page at first, but then it stalled and did not load fully, then it continued with the regular cycle as i seen before. 

There are no events being recorded that correspond to these page errors. 

Friday, September 26, 2014 12:48 PM
  • it just seems to happen on our sharepoint site and Onedrive. OWA page works. Whatever it is about these other pages, seems to be the problem. 
    Friday, September 26, 2014 12:51 PM
  • The problem turned out to be the Smartscreen Filter setting. once i disabled that, the sites worked as expected.

For those that dont know how, go to internet options/advanced tab, find Enable SmartScreen Filter near the bottom, and uncheck it. 

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Friday, October 3, 2014 9:29 AM
    Friday, September 26, 2014 2:04 PM
  • Hi, Dale,

Glad to see your problem resolved, SmartScreen Filter is a feature in Internet Explorer that helps detect phishing websites. SmartScreen Filter can also help protect you from installing malicious software, or malware, which is software designed to deliberately harm your computer such as viruses, worms, and Trojan horses. According to your situation, it is probably your website had some plugin prevent by SmartScreen.

Hope your experience is helpful to others who had similar problem.

Roger Lu

Sunday, September 28, 2014 2:39 AM
  • You mean our sharepoint site has a plugin that smartfilter wants to prevent? Its SPO, not sure what to do about that. 
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 3:45 PM